• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ole_1987

Difference Between Mi16 Conrod And Pistons And 205 Gti Conrods And Pis

Ole_1987

I'm rebuilding a 205 GTi 1.9 engine and i'm planning to use mi16 liners for better cooling. But will I get anything out of using the mi16 conrods and pistons?

petert
I'm rebuilding a 205 GTi 1.9 engine and i'm planning to use mi16 liners for better cooling. But will I get anything out of using the mi16 conrods and pistons?

Yes, they're a much lighter piston and you'll increase the CR.

Ole_1987
Yes, they're a much lighter piston and you'll increase the CR.

Thank you very much. Are there any difference between the conrods and the crank?

petert

You'll need to use the Mi16 conrods with the Mi16 pistons, as the gudgeon pin is full floating. The Mi16 and 8V cranks are fully interchangeable, although the Mi16 crank is fully counterweighted.

Ole_1987
You'll need to use the Mi16 conrods with the Mi16 pistons, as the gudgeon pin is full floating. The Mi16 and 8V cranks are fully interchangeable, although the Mi16 crank is fully counterweighted.

So you'll say suggest that i change the crank to a mi16 when i'm allready switching to mi16 pistons and conrods?

petert
So you'll say suggest that i change the crank to a mi16 when i'm allready switching to mi16 pistons and conrods?

Not unless you're going to rev it continually past 7000.

Guest rick03054
Not unless you're going to rev it continually past 7000.

Is it only at high revs the mi crank is an advantage? or does it have some effect at lower revs too?

petert

The point of the fully counterweighted crank is to stop flex at high RPM. At what point the 205 crank starts to bend I have no idea. But PSA obviously thought that the 205 crank wasn't good enough for a 16V. So if you've got an engine that can rev past the 205 standard limit it's probably a worthwhile investment. Conversely, plenty of people have raced 205's with standard cranks.

B1ack_Mi16
The point of the fully counterweighted crank is to stop flex at high RPM. At what point the 205 crank starts to bend I have no idea. But PSA obviously thought that the 205 crank wasn't good enough for a 16V. So if you've got an engine that can rev past the 205 standard limit it's probably a worthwhile investment. Conversely, plenty of people have raced 205's with standard cranks.

Also the billet BTCC XU10J4RS crank I found a picture of did only have 4 counterweights.

It's probably made of a much stronger material than the standard cast ones anyway, but I'm not so sure that the importance of having 8 counterweights instead of 4 is very important at all.

Will probably see on my engine, only 4 counterweights and 94.5mm stroke. Should put some force on the crank at 8000rpm.

Guest rick03054

So why would they put the 8 counterweight crank in the diesel?

Sign in to follow this