• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
vern

Air Intake In Wheel Arch

niklas
I have fitted a BMC filter to my TT and the easiest way to "fresh air", is to have the intake into the wheel arch area near the battery tray.

Is this a good place to put it?, any comments about placement good or bad.

Some newer cars, like the 206 GTI, have a ordinary sealed airbox with a pipe to the wheel arch area. All the way down but behind the plastic arch to avoid getting in dirt and water in the airbox.

Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

vern

How much of an issue is the low pressure in a wheel arch.

Nate the routing of the pipe is immaterial if the inlet pipe is immersed in water the engine sucks up water like a very powerful hoover, till the engine goes bang.

Niklas the problem is getting a plastic wheel arch to fit.

niklas
How much of an issue is the low pressure in a wheel arch.

Nate the routing of the pipe is immaterial if the inlet pipe is immersed in water the engine sucks up water like a very powerful hoover, till the engine goes bang.

Niklas the problem is getting a plastic wheel arch to fit.

Ahh if you don't have anything shielding the area then it's not a good place I guess. For example the 206 has a plastic arch that more or less entirely shields the area behind it so that dirt and water won't be able to enter.

Another idea is to have a pipe from the front, in front of the radiator but just behind the grill to lead fresh air to the filter..

Guest BrainFluid
routing of the pipe is immaterial if the inlet pipe is immersed in water the engine sucks up water like a very powerful hoover

Sure, if its totaly immersed in water. But if its pulling in air and water the water would have to fight gravity to get up a steep incline unlike the air. The vacume would be lost if it was taking in air and water and I dont think water would stand much of a chance at making it into the engine.

Thinking about it could you not put a filter that allows air and not water? Thinking about it again tho' , that would that restrict the intake far too much. Unless the opening was massive! :)

EDIT: Like what do you think would happen if you put a hoover attachment at a 45 degree angle into a bowl of water half in and half out?

Edited by BrainFluid

sutol

Do you not think that the air might be cleaner higher upand praps someone could fabricate a long narrow scoop along the leading edge of the bonnet to funnel the cold air where ever you like

vern

Nate you are right about if there is a gap for air, water would not be drawn up as the suction would be lost, water spray mist would likely be drawn up but would collect at the filter only.

But the point was raised if going through a flood, deep puddle etc the inlet could be submerged.

I am looking at cutting a hole for the inlet pipe, in headlight panel and putting pipe inlet in it, allowing air to be drawn in from behind the valence

Sign in to follow this