• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris1986

Clutch Upgrade

chris1986

have dine a few searches but still need to ask,

what clutches are you lot running in the 1.9s as i'm going to be putting a new enine in soon and it would be silly to not put a new clutch in, its main;y going to be for hill climbs and trsck dsys with s few miles on the road. i was thinking sbout the helix range, does over £250 sound right for a new helix one. i've been put off by everyone that s had a techni clutch put in not just 205's.

TEKNOPUG

Yes, I'd go with an organic helix GrpN clutch, about £250-£300.

Probably not worth it though if you are not runnig considerably more power.

A cheaper fix would be to use an Mi16 flywheel (215mm) and then use a standard 215mm clutch for less than £100

chris1986

i might consider the mi16 fly wheel. if anyone has the correct part no for the helix clutch for a 1.9 it would be great if you could give it to me.

are the cluctches the same for 1.6 & 1.9?

jonnie205

A standard valeo 8v clucth will be fine. I am runnning an 1.6 8v flywheel on an mi16 with 200bhp and it spot on. Uprated clucthes only realy needed for mega power

TEKNOPUG

This is true - it's torque that kills clutches, not "power".

chris1986

well i think this engine will be standard, and i guess if you at that power on a normal clutch then theres no point really. looks like it will probably be a luk or valeo then, jonnie do you use your care out on track or just on roads?

whizzer71

Personally I would go for Mi at least if competing in motorsport,used to do time trialing,and the Mi clutch was the only pull type that didnt let go,(never tried the push variety though Gti 6 etc)

:D

jonnie205

its the pull that are gti6 not push. My car is used on track and road and it gets a very very hard time. Uprated clutches are ok if you plan on animal standing starts etc but they are very hard on the drivetrain.

chris1986

thanks you've probs just saved me over £200

whizzer71

Yeah sorry guys I was reffering to the operation of the clutch cable :D ,Now realised that obviously it relates to the method of disengagement !

:(

Rik

NEVER EVER EVER go to Techni Clutch!

There standard clutches painted red! the guy lives and owns a garage near me, everyong round here knows there just standard cluthes!

Terrible though he must still be making a profit - he got a Bentley!

Rik

Jez G
This is true - it's torque that kills clutches, not "power".

Clutches are specified by torque capacity in Nm (or ft.lb in old money). The more torque you have (combined with gearing) will mean longer slip times, this is what kills the clutch.

Power 'ps' or 'BHP' has absolutly nothing to do with it.

Jez

Sign in to follow this