• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bales

Different Engines Driving Experiences Wanted

bales

Basically I really want to know what people's experiences and preferences are with different engines in their 205's.

As I have had a few posts on now I am about to start my winter project on my 205 and the first stage is the engine. I have considered so far pretty much most options, turbo, gti-6, mildly tuned 8v, mi16 etc...

The ideal solution would be to get a ride in a couple of people's cars with the different options, but as I don't know that many people who live close to me that could be quite difficult. So my thoughts are as follows :-

I won't necessarily go into budget but I would say as a rough guide maybe £2.5k

Tuned 8v - I have spoken to a local engine builder who has made a couple of rally engines for 205's and says he can get me 160-170bhp approx for not massive money and I would be using throttle bodies and management. This appeals to me as it is the standard engine that I like, it will sound fantastic and will probably feel very quick with being all about the midrange. I can also hillclimb still with this which is still something I am considering doing though not a definate.

The main problem is justifying the cost when a gti-6 or mi16 will pretty much do this standard - though they wont be as charcterful. I guess that to drive it will be torquey and feel nice and fast.

gti-6/mi16 - I could get an engine and either run it standard to get the same as the 8v or for a bit extra get some cams and maybe t/b's depending on budget. This would probably give 200bhp and feel very fast but are they as charcterful as the 8v or have the same "feel" to them. I guess that with 200bhp traction isnt a huge problem - or is it? I know there are quite a few highish power 16v's on here so any comments from thses would be great on how they drive.

Turbo - This is what I have been considering upto know, but I would hate to spend a large chunk of money and then find that it is difficult to drive as it just spins everywhere and is just slow in the wet as you cant ever give it full beans. I would consider a standard engine but I guess from the power and torque figures and the rpm that they are produced at the driving experience is very "diesel" like and probably is very easy to get used to and would feel a bit boring - fast yes but not very charcterful.

So the main thing is I would like to hear from some people who have highish power turbo engines and whether they are actually drivable and whether they lose the 205's character cos at the end of the day they arent drag cars so absolute straight line speed isnt the be all and end all to me. The other thing that put me off a bit is the engine builder who has raced for years and built all sorts said catergorically that a tuned 8v would be quicker than a turbo on pretty much any remotely twisty lane hmmmm.....didnt mention 16v's though :P

Thanks for any replies, and hopefully I will stop banging on about this and actually make a decision, I just would like to know thoughts from people who have actually driven these cars, as opposed to trying to make a decision from figures and power to weight ratio's.

Cheers

Alex

smckeown

I put up accurate graphs showing BHP and torque for a number of XU engined cars. You can compare the tuned 8v (BVH/TBs) with gti6 and mi16.

Might help your decision process

The regulations regarding competition should also be looked at closely. You'll kick yourself if you make a decision stopping you from being in a more competative class..if you go down that route

All of the 3 options will make a great car; dont forget cost of rebuild if your going mi16. I'd choose the gti6 over mi16 as no rebuild and much better torque if your staying standard ish

Edited by smckeown

sonofsam

Mate as ive mentioned before< I can compare my engine now to my old 1.9 , its just like its got extra kick, wich it has, plenty of driving 'experience' to be had, keeping it in the torque range, edging on the boost for corner exits etc..Totally drivable, execpt when you run no boost controll, then it will spin @ 60!

Make up your mind, your more indesicive than my bird :P

bales
Mate as ive mentioned before< I can compare my engine now to my old 1.9 , its just like its got extra kick, wich it has, plenty of driving 'experience' to be had, keeping it in the torque range, edging on the boost for corner exits etc..Totally drivable, execpt when you run no boost controll, then it will spin @ 60!

Make up your mind, your more indesicive than my bird :(

Haha cheers mate :o

I am just fully considering my options before shelling out the dosh :P

Sandy

Personally I think the 1.8 has alot more character than the 1.9, in 8v or 16v guise.

TT205

I used to have a TT with 170-180BHP and hillclimbed it for a couple of years, I then got an 8V on carbs with ~150BHP

The TT always felt much quicker than the 8V, but the clock says that the 8V was 2.5 seconds quicker - and thats a HUUUUUGE amount of time!

Might be a different story on a track with longer straights but hillclimbing - the timing doesn't lie .........

Dave

Sign in to follow this