• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

Mi16 Standard Exhaust Manifolds

sutol

Had a search and can't find any info.

Didn't know until today that there are two types of 8 port manifolds, one cast and one tubular.

My motor came without so I'm scanning eBay for one and need to know which one is best..TA.. <_<

welshpug

thought they were cast tubes :)<_<

sutol
thought they were cast tubes :D:P

:) Don't confuse me, it don't take much..

Once had an old Mi16 with all bits it had an exhaust with eight tubes twisted round each other (work of art), just seen one on fleabay which is similar to 1.9 but with eight ports <_<

Spose thinking about it the work of art has got to be better.

welshpug

Only just noticed that, looking at them the cast unit looks better.

Also the cast unit is the 2.0 one IIRC.

sutol
Only just noticed that, looking at them the cast unit looks better.

Also the cast unit is the 2.0 one IIRC.

Yup, and mine is an early one so I presume that it is a 1.9. Bigger exhaust should not affect power spread then, unlike small bike carbs <_<:)

pug_ham
thought they were cast tubes :P:)

Doesn't look very cast to me. <_<

More tubular as its welded.

What head / engine is yours as the stud pattern is different & they aren't interchangable.

Graham.

post-71-1168393311.jpg

petert

As Graham said, the 1.9L XU9J4 manifold is tubular welded, with 9 studs, whilst the 2.0L XU10J4 manifold is cast iron with 10 studs. Completely different animals and impossible to swap.

sutol
As Graham said, the 1.9L XU9J4 manifold is tubular welded, with 9 studs, whilst the 2.0L XU10J4 manifold is cast iron with 10 studs. Completely different animals and impossible to swap.

Phew !!! nearly bought one. best check.

Mine is an all alloy block , just been out to check and the head has nine studs so it looks as if I'll be bidding on that one in the picture, yes ?.

Give us a guide on price as I've just been offered one from a scrapman for 70 quid ;) and he didn't say which one it was !

smckeown

The problem with an old/2nd hand manifold is you have no idea if they are already cracked or if they will crack sometime soon. For that reason I prefer going for a new tubular manifold, such as maniflow/longmans.

Have you ever tried to change an mi16 manifold whilst installed i na 205 ? it's not a happy job ;) So make sure it's good before it goes in.

sutol

Good advice and noted :D

I will check the manifold carefully and weld if ness and I usually weld a piece of flexi pipe near the front of the system to take the stress. Many years building Minis has taught me that.

But I first have to find one as I don't have longman money I'm afraid. Could end up making one if all else fails and I get the time.

I'm going to bid on one on eBay so wish me luck as I havn't a clue what they are worth ;)

Martin@PRD

Hiya fella,

Manifolds go for aound £20 to £30, they arnt to much touble to weld if cracked, unfortunalty i cant disclose any info on how we do it, though i can assure you if you weld it correclty it WONT crack in the same place the secoud time.

A lot of cracks appear due to incorrect fuel mixture and timing and also with incorrect fitment and crack to look out for are around the collector flange and inside where the two section come together.

If your in any doubt just add me to msn (find my address in my profile) and im gladly willing to help with out up setting mods with attempt to advertise our products

smckeown
Hiya fella,

Manifolds go for aound £20 to £30, they arnt to much touble to weld if cracked,

What about when they crack in the middle, i.e. you can't actually get to the crack ?

Martin@PRD
What about when they crack in the middle, i.e. you can't actually get to the crack ?

Then they crack inside, welding them requires the two pieces seam welded together and then filing in from behind.

Sign in to follow this