• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Which Ecu To Use?

huzzer

I am currently converting a 1.6 to an MI16.

The donor engine came with the loom chopped out of the car and no ECU, so I have no reference to which loom and ECU I need? (I will be using the motronic loom)Does my engine need a specific loom eg. 1.3 Motronic or different? Can the engine number be used to identify this and where is the number stamped?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.

Baz

Look at the ECU plug, if there's 2 or 3 rows of connectors that will pretty much define what ECU you need. :(

huzzer

Hi Barry,

There is no ECU with the engine as the loom had been chopped out of the car crudely, so no connector with it.

Are you still selling a loom and ECU?

Cheers, Ben.

welshpug

huzzer, you confused the matter by stating that you're going to use a Motronic loom, so to some it may sound like you already have one!

ECU you use all depends on what you can source loom wise, and vice versa.

Edited by welshpug

huzzer

:rolleyes: Sorry for confusing everybody! What I meant was, I wont be using 8v management.

Ah! So it doesnt matter which ECU and loom I get as long as they are both compatible?

welshpug

yes!!! so you can use motronic from a ZX, 405, BX, megasquirt, KMS etc etc :rolleyes:

huzzer

Great. Thanks for clearing that up welshpug!

Are they different between alloy and iron block?

welshpug

alloy runs an AFM (2 row I believe but not 100% on that, later cars used an AFM and 3 row)

iron block runs map sensor and 3 row, if you have the choice i'd go for the iron block ecu as it'll respond to tuning better and have less restriction in the intake tract, though you might need the map adjusted.

it does allow coilpacks to be used, which IMO is much better.

Baz

In that case, makes it a bit more difficult, especially if you're intending to use the chopped loom!!

I still have the 3row setup for sale yes. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this