• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

Turbo Diesel - How To Increase Power?

foreigner

Really strange question from me.

How to increase power on turbo diesel - 1.9 td.

any advice welcome.

Guest BrainFluid

Well, here are two sample 'search function' results....Numero uno and err, a second one :D

(but why am I doing the searching for you you :huh: )

In all honesty messing about with over fueling and upping the boost, maybe twisting the pump a little is all that you can do...Bar fitting an intercooler but seen as your engine came out of a 306 theres a good chance its already got one.

I've heard people mention that you can get the XUD9TE engine upto 120bhp doing the above...

888rmb

There's a step by step guide to optimising the 1.9TD engine in the members section of the PSOOC website.

Richie-Van-GTi

there used to be a guide on http://www.johns306.com but it looks like he's redone the site and not yet updated it. Its a very thorough guide, try contacting him see if he will mail it to you.

Basically though you need to increase the fuel, depending on which pump you have I only remember the lucas pump. Theres a black plastic cap on the front of the pump, open this and lots of drizzle will pour out, then look inside and you will see part of the internals, you need to rotate the engine slowly so these turn, watch for a hole appear in the spinning cyclinder, in here there is an allen key bolt, turn this out and it will increase fuel, you only need about 1/4 turn. replace the cap, next to it is a large brass screw with lock nut and possibly a brass cover, loosen the lock nut (may require breaking a security seal) then wind the inner bolt out about 1 full turn and tighten the lock nut back on.

Now get under the car,look up at the turbo you will see the wastegate arm which is fastened at the turbo end by a small circlip washer. Pop this off and carefully wind the wastegate along the threads about 3.5 turns so it gets shorter. Put the arm back on with circlip.

Thats it, go for a spin see how it feels. If you have the turbo where you cant see the threads on the wastegate arm but instead see a sort of bell shape thing then contact the above website as I cant remember how to do that one. Been a couple of years since I touched one of these engines.

foreigner
there used to be a guide on http://www.johns306.com but it looks like he's redone the site and not yet updated it. Its a very thorough guide, try contacting him see if he will mail it to you.

Basically though you need to increase the fuel, depending on which pump you have I only remember the lucas pump. Theres a black plastic cap on the front of the pump, open this and lots of drizzle will pour out, then look inside and you will see part of the internals, you need to rotate the engine slowly so these turn, watch for a hole appear in the spinning cyclinder, in here there is an allen key bolt, turn this out and it will increase fuel, you only need about 1/4 turn. replace the cap, next to it is a large brass screw with lock nut and possibly a brass cover, loosen the lock nut (may require breaking a security seal) then wind the inner bolt out about 1 full turn and tighten the lock nut back on.

Now get under the car,look up at the turbo you will see the wastegate arm which is fastened at the turbo end by a small circlip washer. Pop this off and carefully wind the wastegate along the threads about 3.5 turns so it gets shorter. Put the arm back on with circlip.

Thats it, go for a spin see how it feels. If you have the turbo where you cant see the threads on the wastegate arm but instead see a sort of bell shape thing then contact the above website as I cant remember how to do that one. Been a couple of years since I touched one of these engines.

thanx for that.

unfortunately i got bosch pump so i will look at that.

calvinhorse

but it doesnt say anythin about intercooling a none intercooled 205??

Alex G

i didnt realise diesels were that simple, thats basically the identical procedure for upping boost on an erst with mechanical fuel injection

Guest BrainFluid

Nothing complicated about diesels mate!

welshpug

nothing complicated about petrol engines either!

in both cases its just a case of the more air you can get in the more fuel you can give it, its just the approach to doing so is slightly different :blush:

Sign in to follow this