• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Most Power On A 180mm Clutch

christopher

TU performance chaps...

Who is running the highest performance on a 180mm clutch? (from an XS/Rallye) standard...

I assume the high perf ones are a bit hard pedalwise

To give me an idea what it can take

Edited by christopher

smckeown

isn't oit torque that the important factor here. ALso i'd assume different clutches have different levels of torque they can deal with ? therefore worth asking the manufacturers. Cant see a TU generating that much torque :D

christopher
isn't oit torque that the important factor here. ALso i'd assume different clutches have different levels of torque they can deal with ? therefore worth asking the manufacturers. Cant see a TU generating that much torque :D

Yep I mean torque....

Cant see a TU generating that much torque

:lol::lol::D I'm shocked :D

Now we all know that a TU has a vastly superior combustion chamber port design then any 8V XU :P

Edited by christopher

allanallen
Now we all know that a TU has a vastly superior combustion chamber port design then any 8V XU

you tell him son

Sandy

I ran a std 180mm new valeo one on a 1.6 with Rallye inlet etc (about 120bhp) and it was right on the edge, but more responsive than with 200mm definately.

Rippthrough
I ran a std 180mm new valeo one on a 1.6 with Rallye inlet etc (about 120bhp) and it was right on the edge, but more responsive than with 200mm definately.

Mine feels a bit marginal @ 85bhp tbh!

Might be something to do with having120k on it though.

205Rallee
TU performance chaps...

Who is running the highest performance on a 180mm clutch? (from an XS/Rallye) standard...

I assume the high perf ones are a bit hard pedalwise

To give me an idea what it can take

I run a 180mm Alcon rigid paddle clutch, it takes all the abuse you can give it. That's in a 1294 rallye with quaife gearkit, lsd and occasionally on slicks. Its done about 20,000 miles, it doesn't snatch, very smooth with new standard cover. When it was new it squeeled a bit when changing down. £160 ish in the UK - bargain.

christopher
I run a 180mm Alcon rigid paddle clutch, it takes all the abuse you can give it. That's in a 1294 rallye with quaife gearkit, lsd and occasionally on slicks. Its done about 20,000 miles, it doesn't snatch, very smooth with new standard cover. When it was new it squeeled a bit when changing down. £160 ish in the UK - bargain.

205Rallee,

So you are using this Alcon clutch plate with a standard cover, so I take it the pedal pressure is the same as standard. Doesn it drive just like a normal "road" clutch?

TB_205GTI

I had 148Nm and 126Bhp in my old Rallye - new LUK clutch, no issues what so ever.

smckeown: I had 190Nm in my TU - NA by the way ;)

Christopher, try givin Autobremsen a call, I have just bought a new clutch for the 206. They guarantee that it can withstand 400Nm and 200Bhp. It is _not_ a sintermetal clutch, it should behave like a normal oem clutch.

rally ax

I also run an Alcon solid center paddle clutch with a std cover in our TB'd TU3M (1360cc cast iron)engined Gripper lsd'd rally AX and it drives really nice with no snatching.

The plate was in my 106XSI to start with then fitted into the Ax when I built it to do sprints and hillclimbs last year.Its now a rally car and done around 5 events so its seen a fair bit of punishment. The torque is around 99/100 lbs/ft and 138 bhp /119@ wheels

Edited by rally ax

205Rallee
205Rallee,

So you are using this Alcon clutch plate with a standard cover, so I take it the pedal pressure is the same as standard. Doesn it drive just like a normal "road" clutch?

Yes, just a standard cover. It's really nice and gentle and it must have had 200 - 300 standing starts/tyre warming with no slip whatsoever. It's bound to break now I've said that!

christopher

OK great thanks lads. Thats just what I wanted to hear...

I'm trying to decide if I should use the ligther 1,3 flywheel with a 180mm clutch or the heavier 1,6 one with a 200mm clutch

Sign in to follow this