• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bremar

Thermostat housing corrosion 1993 205 1.9 Gentry

Bremar

Hi, 

I am in process of replacing the inner wing coolant pipe and attached hoses 

With stainless a steel pipe from Baker BM. Having drained the coolant I had a look st the thermostat area. I have attached a YouTube video showing the issue which is simply ( or not) corrosion around that area.
in particular it has a plastic thermostat top housing but,  is the main aluminium bottom housing actually a separate bolt on replaceable unit? So that I can change it Should it have a problem? And if so are there better options

Thank you Bremar. 

Leslie green

This is what it looks like and it also houses the distributor , there is an allen bolt that can only be accessed when the distributor is removed , it is the final bolt, the dissy is held on by 2 nuts . The aluminium is generally ok , you have a water leak which has caused the corrosion mess ,likely from the thermostat seal . You wont be able to buy the big allow block  new but nor should you need too . You can see how it mounts with the pic below , the bolts holes and also the allen bolt location behind the dissy when it's removed in a recess , mine is earlier with metal thermostat cap but otherwise they may well be the same . There is a gasket to the engine called " thermostat housing gasket " but later cars like your they just used instant gasket although its easier with a gasket .

https://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/1/13E52A.HTM

20240814_170340.jpg

Edited by Leslie green

Bremar

Ok that explains it and with the parts diagram I can see if there turns out to be an issue with the aluminium housing it wont be to difficult to resolve. 
I removed the plastic top housing to the thermostat and was surprised that there wasn’t a paper gasket as well as the rubber gasket that goes around the outer rim of the thermostat. I think I might add something even if it’s just an instant gasket seal on the edge of the aluminium. 
i will try order a new 82 degree thermostat tomorrow. But bet they are all chinese now. 
thanks again Leslie really appreciate 

Brett 

IMG_3811.png

IMG_3810.png

• Like 1

welshpug

Don't bodge it, the standard rubber seal is enough.

pug_ham

A said by Mei, the standard rubber seal is sufficient to give a good enough seal without any gasket sealant under the cap.

Because you have the later plastic cap, the new thermostat could come with three seals, two of the earlier type which go either side of the thermostat & one of the later which sits around the thermostat, like your old one did.

g

Leslie green

I did see someone on ebay selling a paper gasket for the thermostat ,mine is the earlier metal outlet type  but if the seal that goes round the thermostat I bought is all that's needed happy days . I had a thermostat with the 2 seals that go top and bottom but they didn't really seem to locate anywhere properly so bought the later type.

Edited by Leslie green