• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmt

Which ?

mmt

Hi Guys, 

Which engine is this? Seller says it is a Gti6 

It looks like a genuine 6 I’m however missing the “RS” on the bottom!? 

thanks 

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0274.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

Edited by mmt

SRDT

I'm not sure that there is a RS on the block casting as the exterior is pretty standard but there should be a RFS engine code stamped on the block:

b1bk0w1c.gif

The head casting should have a RS on the gearbox side and be machined for the cam sensor like this one is. Some late XU7JP4 heads also had a cam sensor but it seems the XU10J4R didn't.

SRDT

Look at the machined surface at the bottom. You should have "PSA RFS" engraved on the first line.

petert

Is there a cam sensor in the head, near the inlet pulley? Or a hole for one? R doesn’t have one.

welshpug

The blocks all have the same casting on the back,   the RS head has RS cast In next to the thermostat housing,  under the hole for the vacuum pump which only the RS engine has.

You can see in the first image that the lug on the front corner is drilled for the cam sensor that Peter mentioned so it is at least a gti6 head.

SRDT

Another detail is that both cam pulley hubs are identical on the RS but not on the R. The R has the same cam on intake and exhaust and uses another intake pulley hub to set the correct timing.

mmt
16 hours ago, welshpug said:

The blocks all have the same casting on the back,   the RS head has RS cast In next to the thermostat housing,  under the hole for the vacuum pump which only the RS engine has.

You can see in the first image that the lug on the front corner is drilled for the cam sensor that Peter mentioned so it is at least a gti6 head.

I removed the cam sensor before I took the picture. 

I’ll have a closer look under the vacuum pump tonight. 

mmt

Thanks Mei - there is an RS under the vacuum pump. 

IMG_0285.jpeg

mmt
18 hours ago, petert said:

Is there a cam sensor in the head, near the inlet pulley? Or a hole for one? R doesn’t have one.

What are the benefits of a cam sensor?

I run a stand alone ecu with a trigger wheel at the crank. Do I also need the run a cam sensor?  

my tuner says it is not needed. 

Edited by mmt

petert

I'd find another tuner. I've never understood that mentality. You have to ask yourself why an RS has one and an R doesn't? Why would you send your tune back to 1990? Google the benefits sequential fuel injection. It makes a significant improvement to midrange torque and driveability. Sure, it makes zero difference to total hp, but how often do you drive there? It's mandatory on all of the big ecu's in Australia. ie Motec, Emtron & Autronic. It's an option on Haltech. Thus most cars retain them here.

https://www.hpacademy.com/previous-webinars/061-optimising-injection-timing/

• Thanks 1