• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Panel interchangeably

boldy205

Hi all.

I've got some nearside front damage on my GTI. Regards replacement panels, am I correct in saying that front strut tower, inner wing, headlight panel round to the front is all interchangeable between base and GTI models, the only GTI specific item being the outer wings?

Thanks 

Matt

Leslie green

I think the front mount for the subframe and the brake pipe bracket is mounted differently but the basic inner wing pressing is the same  , the subrame bracket could be taken from your inner wing , the strut tower and front panels are the same on all cars .

welshpug

the forward subframe mounting point is a separate spot welded on piece, the chassis leg is otherwise identical.

I'd be wary of the integrity and straightness of the shell if its had an impact big enough to bend a chassis leg/strut tower backwards, I would be checking the door aperture roof and sill very carefully.

Edited by welshpug

boldy205

Thanks for the info. This has helped confirm my thoughts. 

Regards the amount of damage done, it has bent the chassis leg circa 1/2" (engine has moved to the off side by that much) and hoping a jig will pull this straight. So far the strut tower looks fine, engine out soon so will look further.

Sills look fine and door shut lines aren't much worse than they were previously (saggy door hinges!!)

If anyone has any front end bits, please do let me know!