• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
LIXTRONIC

Xu10j4rs, longer 162mm rods

LIXTRONIC

As title says, is there any rod off the shelf that is 162mm or at least somewhat close to that lenght? Long story short I am figuring put if I can use k20 pistons in my xu10, but pin to crown distance is around 4mm too short on k20 pistons. Longer stroke crank is no go becaouse I need to stay under 2000cc

Spesh

speak to robson rods, they will make you pretty much anything you want and their prices are suprisingly good for one offs.  I had some made about 2 years back and I think they were around £700 for a set of 4.

https://www.connectingrods.co.uk/

Edited by Spesh

petert

I have custom 162mm rods with K20 pistons. It works well. I used local Aus rod maker Argo.

petert

Here you go. Peugeot one end, Honda the other, 162mm long.

Argo Honda-Pug Rod 1.jpg

Argo Honda-Pug Rod 2.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

welshpug

they look very nice Peter, what are the costs for something like that?

a friend is just starting to sort parts for a few engine builds, had to get the PEC rods made round, so the £600 rods are now £700 i think  :rolleyes:

LIXTRONIC

@petert

Great to hear someone did this, what was price on that? Localy unfortunately I can't find anyone to make me that... 

And also, do k20 pistons clear high lift cams? What cams are you running? And if you don't mind writing more what are general gains from k20 pistons (to get things straigt I'm shooting for over 200hp n/a)

To sum up... Needed rod meassurments for k20 pistons are:

Length C/C: 162.00mm

Small End Diameter: 22.00mm

Small End Width: 19.50mm

Big End Diameter: 53.70mm

Big End Width: 24.20mm

Is that right?

Edited by LIXTRONIC

welshpug

depends which K20 piston you are using.

petert

They were approx. AUS$2K for five rods. So about the same as Robsons.

I'm using -9cc dished pistons for turbo and s/c charged engines. The pockets are very deep but you'd need to measure regardless.

You wouldn't be mucking around at 200hp with rods like that and 12:1. I'd be aiming for 250+hp.

I have another set that I use with these Kitcar pistons.

Argo Wossner Assemblies.jpg

Edited by petert

petert

Small end width is 21mm.

LIXTRONIC
1 hour ago, petert said:

Small end width is 21mm.

So wider than for xu10 piston

200hp was minimum expectation, something that i can start with... I'm planing to use stock k20 fn2 typeR pistons 

petert

Unless you have an exceptionally good block, I can't see how you could use a stock 86mm piston. I suppose if it cleaned up at 0.005" over, that would be the limit.

SRDT

Maybe with dry sleeves you could bring back the bores to 86mm, I can't tell for newer J4R blocks but older XU10 could be bored up to 88mm so sleeves should fit.

If it works then you could also reduce the bore and look for good Ø85mm pistons with a 88mm DW10 forged crank.

petert

Or use a diesel block, with petrol oil squirters.

I say 0.005", because the XU10 pistons are cast and would have had a clearance of approx. 0.001". The oem K20 pistons are forged and would need a minimum clearance of 0.0035". Anything up to 0.005" would be ok. You won't know until you hone it, professionally, with a torque plate.

The diesel blocks are 85 x 88. Thus you can bore them to 86.

Edited by petert

SRDT

The XUD11A and DW12 are Ø86mm diesel blocks but stock DW10 can't even be bored to Ø85.6 without sonic testing to confirm there is at least 2.2mm left before hitting the water jacket.

petert

I was thinking of XU9DTE.

SRDT

Same water jacket problem with the XUD9TE. You probably don't need to sonic test before boring them for Ø83,8mm pistons but I doubt that they had less core shift than proper Ø85mm blocks.

Also I was wrong, the DW12 doesn't have a Ø86mm bore that's the EW12. The only diesel that does is the N/A XUD11A with no water jacket between cylinders.

welshpug

Dan Had a gti6 block taken to 87mm last week and one bore broke into a water way between the bores. :blink:

Xud9 is 83mm  ( 80mm for xud7)

petert

What about the XUD11 ATE/BTE? Maybe they're the Ø85mm blocks I'm thinking of?

SRDT

Yes the XUD11 turbo was the first bored to Ø85mm but this block is a bit special with a bigger external water pump that is also housing the thermostat.

The XUD7TE was the first turbo XU because Peugeot had trouble with core shift on the bigger bore XUD9. The XUD9TE was introduced a few years after the XUD11ATE so obviously core shift wasn't a problem at this point.