• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bremar

Coolant hose condition and type plus disc pad brake sensor wire routing

Bremar

Hi, 

I am in the process of replacing the top strut bearings on my 205 Gentry model. 1. Whilst I was under the wing I removed a plastic shield which exposed a coolant pipe. Please see picture below. My guess is this was a repair and someone has inserted a metal tube (and then covered it in foil for some reason). Should this be a continuous hose? hose without any pipe?

2.  if I was to replace the hose, Does anybody have any views on whether to use silicon hoses? I know they can have problems with the Jubilee clip fittings at the end of the hoses.
3rd and final question is you can see from the picture the  brake pad sensor wire  is  cable tied to the hose. Is this the normal route(cabled tied or not. 

thank you Bremar 

IMG_3591.jpeg

welshpug

A metal pipe there is standard on the 205, that particular one pictured is certainly not what it should look like though.

Baker BM do a stainless replacement as well as all other hoses.

The brake pad wire should follow along to the brake hose then across to the strut.

Gohn

it looks like they've wrapped the coolant pipe in gaffer tape 

unwrap it first, the condition of the actual pipe may be ok 

if not, go with Mei's tip, those staino ones would be good for the UK roads

I think rubber coolant hoses are better, but plenty use the silicone kits

keep your coolant fresh and it keeps your hoses in good condition

Leslie green

The pipe was mild steel and  always rotted out with road dirt, fit a stainless one whick bolts to those 2 holes in the inner wing and it won't be an issue again.

Bremar

Thanks. I exposed the pipe. That didnt look too bad but there was a lot of rust round the jubilee clips either end and with a cable clip arrangement that appeared to be there to stop the hoses slipping off??
As I want the car as a keeper I contacted Baker BM as suggested.  I have ordered the stainless steel pipe and 2 new hoses. As the car is a 1993 with a plastic coolant manifold as compared to the earlier aluminium one the hose pipe end is evidently smaller at 32mm. 
£78 later these parts will soon be winging there way to me. 
Without your input I’d never have known about the s/s pipe upgrade (£23.54) Brilliant

thank you Bremar 

IMG_3639.jpeg