• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Davej

Advice needed about steering feeling

Davej

Hi all, long term member and have a full stripped shell currently being restored. In the meantime I've just purchased a road going 205gti with mi16 engine. 

My question is regarding the steering as I've never driven one before and have always had PAS. 

Is it normal for the steering to feel lighter up to a quarter turn on the wheel that then gets heavier and heavier the more you turn it? This happens while coasting or on the throttle. Thanks for any help.

Dave

Leslie green

Once its moving steering weight should not be an issue only at parking speeds , the bearings in the top mounts may need changing or tractrod ends are partially siezed due to water getting in past the boots etc.

Davej
6 minutes ago, Leslie green said:

Once its moving steering weight should not be an issue only at parking speeds , the bearings in the top mounts may need changing or tractrod ends are partially siezed due to water getting in past the boots etc.

Thanks for the info. This is happening at speed.  So once moving, the steering weight should feel consistent throughout the turning range?

Leslie green

Yes id say so something isn't right .

Davej
Just now, Leslie green said:

Yes id say so something isn't right .

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was normal or not on these cars. Will have a look into it. 

PhilNW

Check tracking

Richie-Van-GTi
Posted (edited)

What wheels, tyres and suspension set up does it have?

Incorrect offsets have this effect as does camber and castor, also is it a standard non pas rack, common to see a PAS rack being used as non PAS to make a quicker rack.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

DamirGTI

I'd say wheel alignment , incorrectly adjusted creating "Ackermann effect" .

Count visible threads on left and right track rod end , they should be equal or very near .. if they're not and there's big difference get it tracked but by someone who knows how to (need to center the rack first) .

D

welshpug

They do load up as you corner, especially in a spirited manner, but it should be a fairly gradual feeling unless you are being a Savage with the wheel, is should not be a step change from straight ahead really.

Worst case scenario I have seen a bent rack cause this, granted on a rally car which had nerfed a truck tyre chicane!!