• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ArthurH

Dash Wiring Questions

ArthurH

I'm building a new loom for our car.  I'm retaining the original gauges, so I am starting with Zoldalma's excellent 'article' - Instrument Panel Explained - from 2002!

Most of it makes complete sense to me, but I am confused by having two pins for the oil temp: A1 is the Warning light and A7 is the Signal.  Can someone please expand on this?  Similarly two separate pins for for the coolant temp and another two for oil pressure.

Again, D6 is the Fuel level sensor and D7 is the Low fuel warning light.  Are there two wires from the sensor?

welshpug

other than the fuel sender each sensor is a single wire, earth through the body of the sensor, obviously with a petrol tank the fuel level sender needs and earth, and has the low level switch built into the same module.

there is no oil high temp warning.

• Thanks 1

ArthurH

Thanks Mei.  Apart from the fuel sender, that is pretty much what I thought.  So, does the single wire from the oil temp sensor in the sump connect to A7 and not A1?

image.thumb.png.8d8390237ec0b743c6e194b7de09210d.png

• Like 1

ArthurH

A related question... Does anyone know what current (or wattage) the starter motor solenoid draws?  Obvs not the starter motor :-)  I am finding dramatically varying results on the interweb when I search for this.

Similarly, each of the two fuel pumps?

ArthurH

Also :-)    My rev counter connector (Blue) has one more connection than shown in the article above.  Next to the rev counter wire in '3', I have a yellow wire in '4'.  The labeling in the wire isn't very clear - it could be j28 or even T23

Does anyone know where this goes to?  As it happens, I will be using an output from the Emerald Tacho driver module, but I still would like to know what this wire does.

ArthurH

More :-)  The plug on the Wiper motor has 5 wires.  Black Red, Blue, White and Grey IIRC.  Does anyone know what each of these wires does?

welshpug

I believe they work as follows.

Full speed.

Slower.

Intermittent.

Trigger for park

Earth.

• Thanks 1