• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Leslie green

Oil pump chain very tight 1.9gti on new block

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

I've had a replacement block but the sprocket ,oil pump and spacer under the pump is from the old 1.9 block ( ive no idea what the block was off but guessing a 1.6  which shouldn't make any difference  but there is literally no slack at all infact the chain is in tension and the oil pickup side of the pump wont sit down by itself unless pushed down  . New or old chain makes no difference . I had another crank sprocket but its way bigger and must have came with the spare block and no way it will fit . Should I leave the spacer out  ? any advice appreciated as I haven't heard of anybody else with too tight a chain its usually too slack if anything .  

I didn't measure the spacer yet but its less than 1mm id think and came of my old engine . The number on it is 1A . give the new block maybe had the bigger crank sprocket so mush have had a smaller oil pump sprocket etc , the crank sprocket is a 2 piece whereas the one I've now is one piece compete with oil seal running bush all in one.

My old engine block was a 1991 1..9 .

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green

Spacer out and plenty of slack now incase anybody has the same issue in the future 

welshpug

i can't find a definite list of what should be fitted to the petrol xu but the oil pump is the same between XU and XUD, but the spacer is 0.7mm for petrol and diesel and 1.1mm for turbo diesel.

the chain is listed as 50 or 48 links,   the drive sprocket can be 18, 21 or 22t

XUD uses an 18 tooth drive gear, turbo diesel uses 26t, hence a longer 52 link chain listed.

• Like 1

Leslie green

Thats good info Welshpug thanks  ,I must see if I can find an old pic to make sure the small sprocket came of my old engine but without a longer chain nothing else would fit ,will count the links next time I'm down .

SRDT

There was a 5mm spacer under the pump before 01/04/1987, after that Peugeot started using a 5mm taller pump (50mm instead of 45mm) with no spacer as the basic setup.

When playing with bigger sprockets you need a longer chain but with a fixed chain pitch and no tensionner you have no choice but to move the pump a bit.

The 0.7mm spacer is used on the XU9JA (since 01/04/1987), XU9JAZ and XU9J4 with a 22t sprocket on the crank.

The 1.1mm spacer is for the XUD7T(E) with a 26t sprocket.

You can also find them on newer engines like some XU7 or XUD9SD.

On the 309 parts catalog engines using the 0.7mm spacer are specified:

https://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/309F/1/10A20A.HTM

It looks like the XU9JA pump before 01/04/1987 was specific and 45.7mm tall because there is no 5.7mm spacer and the 0.7mm one is only for pumps after 01/04/1987.

Those old pumps have a centering bush on the oil outlet so they should be easy to spot.

petert

Your other option is to make a thinner shim. Say 0.5mm? 

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

I have seen one of the very thick spacers of an early engine on youtube ,they have a slot on the end rather than a hole for one bolt probably for that centrering bush SRDT. The little engine tag on my old engine is long gone so I can only assume it was the original but it did have the 0.7mm spacer , it certainly had some sort of failure as one exhaust valve was different and the rods are not all identical either and id assume they should be .

Petert I'm not sure that would even be thin enough as with 0.7mm the back of the pump sits about 3mm of the block and you needed to push it down to seat it tensioning the chain and any thinner would likely be too flimsy to be any use.

Looking at old pics today The new block has a "0" cast in it and 11 dots around it so I'm assuming that's 11/ 1990 date code , all I got was the block so no other info .

I also found a pic that seems to show the larger 2 piece crank sprocket fitted on the old engine  so not too happy about that , there must be another longer chain lying about ! DoH don't fancy taking it apart again ! I will have a look for the other chain later in the week . There is nothing to suggest a 1900 had a longer chain and I can't see the blocks being much different so its all a bit confusing , the bigger crank sprocket had a wear groove were the oil seal rubs  so I can tell its the one on the old engine in the pic .

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

Good pic here showing the 2 sprockets ,clearly shows you would need a 52 link chain assuming this one is 50 ( will check next time I'm down as the old one I found is same length as I fitted both to check) to get it to fit but 52 link is only listed for Turbo diesel . See how tight it is and it isn't even sitting down at the back of the pump yet as screws are out. The shiny wear groove on the front sprocket tells me its the one came out of the old engine . Maybe fitting a bigger sprocket was a mod back in the day lol ? I wish id measured the pump height now incase I have one of those rare 45 mm pumps ! Assuming I have an 18 tooth sprocket now and the other is 22 tooth that would give me a 20% approx drop in pump speed which is possibly  why Telf was seeing the oil light flicker at idle .

53833275180_d5087efd25_k.jpg20240701_145101 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green

petert
Posted (edited)

I’d change over to 22T & 50 link. That’s the same as fitted to 1.9L Mi16. I don’t like the 26T/52 link combo as fitted to 2L Mi16, as the sprocket is softer and wears prematurely.

Have I got those chain lengths correct? I know the teeth are. Edit Just confirmed correct.

Edited by petert

Leslie green

I need to confirm what chain is actually tted I thought it was 50 link already ,the other one is same so will be easy checked.,maybe its a 48 I dunno .

Leslie green

Found today The chain is in currently  is 48 link ,it was unfortunate the other chain i thought was the old one was also 48 link as I found the 50 link one today which has to be of my old 1.9 engine . Wondering is it worth taking sump of to change now and srugging to find a new 1033.09 genuine  50 link chain .

welshpug
Posted (edited)

It still comes up on a peugeot dealers website I have used for parts so it may be possible to order it still,   quite expensive for such a simple chain though, as a former bicycle mechanic I'm used to high end 116 link chains being less than £50!

https://peugeotcitroendsparts.com/products/peugeot-citroen-ds-oil-pump-chain-103309.html

Edited by welshpug

welshpug
Posted (edited)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392986903097

just found this

INA number is 553 107 10,    which on the autodoc website is unfortunately out of stock, however usefully they are cross referencing to the BMW S50 3.0 and 3.2, S54 3.2 and the 5.0/5.6 V12!      a 700cc Fiat cinquecento, a 70's mercedes W114.

Edited by welshpug

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

Thanks II just took a drive up to a  Peugeot dealer and  asked about the chain  , a 26 tooth sprocket, 6 bar spring and all unavailable now sadly. I have found a 52 link chain  though genuine .

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green

Thanks bought now cheers