• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Maxvdm

205 subframe swap

Maxvdm

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a pretty rough phase 1 205 that has had an XU10J4RS swap. The car has Jenveys, a pug10ff racing manifold, a Motec m84, GAZ golds, an SI steering rack, and a BE3 hybrid short-ratio box with a 4.4 CWP and 3j plate diff.

It’s very rough, and the plan is to pinch the running gear from that car and put it into my '93 205, which has 350,000 km on the clock.

The plan is to drop the engines and subframes out from underneath both cars and swap them over. This will be my first time dropping the subframe completely on the '93, so I was wondering how the engine and subframe are mated. Is it just the lower engine mount?

The plumbing for cooling systems and power steering will be removed, as well as all the engine looms, but I was wondering if there might be anything to look out for and a very rough time estimate. I have only ever removed drivelines from old Land Rovers, so the 205 is fairly modern compared to those.

Given that the XU10 is already fitted in a 205, I’m hoping I won’t have any clearance issues with the brake master or radiator. The donor car looks to have a different radiator in it already.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and if you think I might be better off taking the engine out the top, let me know.
Thanks!

Maxvdm

the two cars are below. 

IMG_9686.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg