• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

crankshaft offset grinding?

welshpug

what with the donors of 2.1 cranks getting seriously thin on the ground now, given they were worth nothing being in large French saloons of the late 90's, a thought occurred that it may be possible to offset grind a freely available 88mm crank from the DW10 HDI engines, which are still used today,   does anyone know if this is feasible?

obviously to achieve anywhere near the 92mm stroke a rod with a smaller journal bearing would be required, and I know 45mm is available as the mitsubishi EVO 4g63 engines use that size,  but is there enough material/case hardening there to do this I wonder.

or should I stick to 88x87 and build a 2.1, and just rev it :lol:

petert
Posted (edited)

An interesting topic. Good thinking! Here it is, theoretically it works perfectly, with 0.5mm to spare. You'd need to ask a crankshaft grinder about the metallurgy though.  I think Honda B series might also be 45mm.

I personally think 87 x 88 is a great combination and easy to build.

Another option could be to grind a 48mm pin and use K20 rods? That would be 87 x 90 = 2140cc. A problem could be that DW bearings are 20mm wide and K20 bearings are 18.5mm wide. Thus too much thrust clearance. 4G63 bearings are 23.5mm wide, thus potentially a lot easier.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 9.43.58 am.png

Edited by petert

welshpug

I'll ask a few people,  see what I can find, I wonder if any surface treatments could be reapplied without bending the crank also.