• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ren89

Electrical starting problem

Ren89

Hi,

I have GTi 1.6 and I've been having some starting issues. When I turn the key sometimes the car will start but usually it will click a few times then nothing just the fuel pump priming.

If I jump the battery from another car or battery pack it starts every time, I've fitted a new battery, starter motor, cleaned the earth's and replaced the wiring from the starter to the battery and the small wire from the starter to the brown plug connector which I have redone all of those connections and got rid of the brown plug itself.

I was thinking maybe the ignition switch or is the starter motor itself no good, it's the big Bosch starter with the bracket.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Cheers Craig.

welshpug

probably the big body starter, aparently they were never great back in the 90's, fit a small bodied starter off a later XU, like a gti6, xsi, 1.8 etc, they are far more reliable.

you could also measure for voltage drop on your solenoid wire, its probably pretty badly corroded in the section you haven't replaced.