• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI_E369

Brown electrical plug from radiator sensor

GTI_E369

Hi all,

My first post here, been a member for sometime now and I have to say this forum is amazing for helping out with pretty much all things 205gti related. 

A bit of background, I have an E plate 1.9 gti, which I have owned for around 5 years now, but only driven it once which was I bought the car and drive it home from sommerset back to Cornwall. The car needed some work, but was mot'd and gernally in good shape.

I've had the car resprayed etc 4 years ago and now have sometime to finally start putting it back together. 

I have come across something which has stumped me, hopefully the pictures come through OK. But essentially, there is a brown plug which comes from the wiring to the radiator sensor, which I assume is the sensor for the fan to come in and out? Anyway, this plug is not connected to anything and in addition there is a red wire which is also doing nothing. My car runs, gets upto temp and the fan cuts in and out, but I am curious as to what this element of wiring is.

More than happy to get additional pictures and discuss further.

Thanks in advance,  Gareth 

20240622_210056.jpg

welshpug

radiator fan test point, the centre pin is live all the time, low speed if you join one of the outer pins, high speed if you join the opposite.

GTI_E369
9 hours ago, welshpug said:

radiator fan test point, the centre pin is live all the time, low speed if you join one of the outer pins, high speed if you join the opposite.

Perfect, I had read about a diagnostic plug,but I just couldn't work out if it was this or not.

Guessing it should be up near, or behind the passengers headlight so it's out the way and there to access if required. 

Thanks, Gareth