• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Arthur

Bangs from front suspention

Arthur

Hi People. 

Recently I have a strange noise or bangs. One could say it's a drive shaft but it's more or less when driving straight. Shafts feel quite right with just a slight play.  It appears to be getting worse. It's mostly coming from a low speed and then going though the gears. Sometimes nothing, sometimes one or two fairly hard bangs. Seems like the slower you go, the harder the bangs. It is mostly on slow acceleration. Feels like driving over a rock with the right tire, but with quite some feedback though the drivetrain. 

Tom Fenton

Diff planet gears knackered? If so it will soon get worse by itself....

Arthur
Posted (edited)

Well, ifso the timing could be worse. Just finished my TU BE4r with 180 RC ratio's, this week. But it does feel like ones in a while a gear is being eaten.

Edited by Arthur

PhilNW

Shafts feel quite right with just a slight play

Where is the play? 

Arthur

Just a slight play in the in cv. An one degree play orso. I must have been drunk last time I worked on the gearbox. There was only oil in to about the shaft level. I think that is about 1/2 the oil it should be. Would one really break the whole thing in 200 km when there’s only 1 liter oil in the gearbox? Can’t imagine my 160 bhp 180 Nm (ish) engine will kill a thin diff BE box just by torque alone. 

PhilNW

My money is on the driveshaft/CV, if it is worn/out of balance then it will be worse at low speed but centrifudal forces will probably counter any out of balance at higher speeds.

Arthur
Posted (edited)

That makes sence. I have the 1.6/diesel shafts now and that might be too weak. Will upgrade to 33mm inner cv’s / and 6 ball outers with 82mm hubs soon though. 

Edited by Arthur

Arthur

IMG_4696.jpeg

PhilNW

What's the picture of?

welshpug

Spring from the inner cv joint