• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

NotDolphin

Absolutely fell in love with a Diesel

NotDolphin

Hey there everyone!!

Small intro:

It's been a long time since i have been on any forum so sorry if it not structured properly. 

I have been obsessed with cars since i was a kid (son of a Rally driver) but after my father past away i sadly fell out of the car scene for a long time.

Currently i am working with a small garage/used car delaership as the IT guy for lack of better word. And then it happened !!! We had a customer bring a 1995 Peugeot 205 Mito 1.8D as a trade in.

As i was inspecting the car i went for a test drive on a back montain road close to the garage and i almost broke down in tears from all the nostalgia and memories that flooded over me. 

Long story short I was given this car by the garage owner after seeing how much i loved it. the trade in value was 300eur so i would have paid for it any way.

Now a week later it just passed ITV(MOT) with 0 faults. i purchased a Jack, Jackstands, some torx bits that i was missing and i am armed and ready to work on this thing almost every evening.

The plan is to make in to a tight back road daily. the roads i drive are 40% pavement 50% hard packed unpaived roads and 10% gravel so pretty much perfect rally terain.

Things that i have already done: 

One of the previous owners for some reason decided to wend shut the seat lift/slide mechanism so as the front seat bolts got loose i could not reach them 

2 hours with a dremel and swearwords i undid all the welds and retighten the seat that is now fully working!

Heater Fan connector decided to melt itself so that got replaced.

Bott struts got replaced.

Fog lights rewired and bulbs replaced.

Adjusted a very poorly adjusted clutch cable. 

The spare tire holding mechanism was broken and loose so i welded that back together and now works great

Repaired a very loose steering wheel foam by injecting glue in to it. (works fine but i am not happy with it and exploring other options. 

Things that are in the works:

Oil and Filter change (Parts are in the mail)

New Speakers and a Stereo (Parts are in the mail)

New shift knob. (Parts are in the mail)

Remote Central Locking (Parts are in the mail)

Leaking Rocker Gasket (Parts are in the mail)

Respray the wheels 

Fix and respray the bumpers

Fix the dash that someone completely butchered while trying to replace instrument cluster lightbulb. Still trying to figure out either try to glue it or go to the scrapyards

Fix the rip in the drivers seat

Replace the Gearbox mount

Replace front shocks

Replace Rotors and pads ( the drums just had a service before i got it ).

Future Things to do:

Fully clean refurbish steering a suspension.

Make a metal under tray

try to slightly raise the ride hight (have been reading about rotating the torsion bars but don't know enought yet)

Fix up the interior

Timing Belt( it is still fine but i have no idea how old it is)

Clutch( feels fine but i am sure i will have to replace it in the future)

Sell my soul and buy a GTI. 

I hope it is not too much information for one forum post. i hope to learn a lot from you guys and i will share my progress as i go. 

IMG_20240520_225338006.jpg

IMG_20240520_193730972.jpg

IMG_20240521_205712626.jpg

IMG_20240527_193238742~2.jpg

IMG_20240529_200947117.jpg

• Like 1

Gohn

7 hours ago, NotDolphin said:

We had a customer bring a 1995 Peugeot 205 Mito 1.8D as a trade in.

- the Myth, one of many classic names Peugeot bestowed upon the 205. who needs a GTi !

7 hours ago, NotDolphin said:

Timing Belt( it is still fine but i have no idea how old it is)

- you obviously know what you're doing but recommend you shuffle this one to the VERY TOP of your list.

I'd actually not drive it until its done just to be sure

- the original peugeot shocks are very good, especially for daily road use. don't assume they need replacing, I love mine

but if you wanna fiddle with it you may go with Bilsteins as many others do 

- don't necessarily need to lower it either. some do, but I think factory ride height is great, gives unreal clearance and will hunker down into corners as you've noticed

- if you haven't got it already the part catalog is handy, its online at : https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang=en

NotDolphin
11 hours ago, Gohn said:

- you obviously know what you're doing but recommend you shuffle this one to the VERY TOP of your list.

I'd actually not drive it until its done just to be sure

Thank you for the suggestion and you are somewhat right. i ended up finding the service history because it was serviced in one of our local garages. the car did 25k km since the change and that was 2 years ago. 

However i did order the belt and waterpump kit and they are also on their way. 

11 hours ago, Gohn said:

- the original peugeot shocks are very good, especially for daily road use. don't assume they need replacing, I love mine

but if you wanna fiddle with it you may go with Bilsteins as many others do 

- don't necessarily need to lower it either. some do, but I think factory ride height is great, gives unreal clearance and will hunker down into corners as you've noticed

That's what i heard but one of them is definitely  blown because it provides 0 damping and there is oil leaking out of it. I called some suppliers and ended up getting a full Bilstein set fronts and rear dampers for 140Eur. 

so taht is now also in the mail. 

- I have no pan on lowering it but quite the opposite i want i to be just a little higher.

And thank you so much for the parts catalog. that actually already came in handy :)

Work progress today :

Wired in a remote central locking system (Cheap amazon one) 

And for anyone who is platting to do it: 

My car came with Remote Central Locking but i did not have the fob. 

The module is under the seering colume and has a brown connector with numbered pins plugged in to it. 

PIN 1 Constant 12V or Battery +

PIN 2 Negative or Battery -

PIN 6 Locking Wire / light blue 

Pin 9 Unlocking Wire / Light orange i guess mine was very faded

Now i am not wuite sure about the system people are going to install but i had to reverse the Lock Unlock wires for the key fob to work properly but your milage may warry

If it doest work try starting your car and manually lock and unlock the central locking system after 2 minutes of doing that and my remotes work amazing and the car locks and unlocks. 

Got rid ot the hideous Shift knob and for now installed a aluminum one i had laying around. drops the total height of the shifter and for me being very tall it made it very comfortable

while i do have the original one in the mail i am debating if i will actually keep this one

Sorry for the mess in the pictures as i am still working on the car and don't feel like cleaning it untill it's somewat finished :) 

IMG_20240604_194806450.jpg

IMG_20240604_194829852.jpg

IMG_20240604_204536740.jpg