• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
greenclaws1975

Strut bump stops

greenclaws1975

Hi all,

Been rebuilding my struts and I can't remember if the cone end of the bump stop points up or down. I fitted them with the cone facing the top but I have a horrible feeling they go the other way. Haynes is no help. Does anyone know how Henri and Pascal fit them? , thanks

welshpug

There is a recess in one end for the large washer.

• Thanks 1

Gohn

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 6.04.18 AM.png

• Thanks 1

greenclaws1975

Thank you Gentlemen, looks like I'll be taking the springs off again.

Are the aftermarket rubber mounts B softer than the originals?...I bought a pair from the motor factor's but they seemed softer and poorer quality so put the old ones back as they seemed fine...or maybe the old mounts have hardened and will make the ride harsh??

Gohn
9 hours ago, greenclaws1975 said:

Are the aftermarket rubber mounts B softer than the originals?

dunno, I've always re used the originals too !

i've refurbished 3 sets of struts while swapping springs from Petrol to Diesel, and the these rubber donuts (B) have all been in pretty good condition despite being 30 years old

the bearing (part C) have all been no good so replaced with Meyle sets

also, when reassembling your struts dont use your own diy spring compressors

do it the safe way and take em to a local mechanic that has a proper hydraulic spring compressor

• Like 1

Gohn

oops, the bearing is part D

Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 9.54.51 PM.png

greenclaws1975
6 hours ago, Gohn said:

dunno, I've always re used the originals too !

i've refurbished 3 sets of struts while swapping springs from Petrol to Diesel, and the these rubber donuts (B) have all been in pretty good condition despite being 30 years old

the bearing (part C) have all been no good so replaced with Meyle sets

also, when reassembling your struts dont use your own diy spring compressors

do it the safe way and take em to a local mechanic that has a proper hydraulic spring compressor

I weighed the old rubber doughnuts  this time I had them out and they are about 8% heavier than the new versions. So the originals went back in. Rather have old OE Peugeot than modern China crap.

Thumbs up from me for Meyle parts I got my lower suspension arms etc. from autodoc and they seem excellent.  Euro car parts were not very helpful.

Hear what you say regarding spring compressors but 205 springs aren't as heavy as lardy Berlingos etc so I felt quite safe.

Just painted my springs  in two pack so put a little rubber under the spring compressors to prevent scratching   and  stopped the usual sliding sideways drama

PhilNW
Posted (edited)

will make the ride harsh?

Bump stops are exactly that, under normal ride condition spring and shock absorber working together they are not in use.

If you hit a really hard/heavy bump then the bump stop gives you a further (last)  bit of cushioning before you get mechanical lock of the shock absorber when all its travel is taken up. 

Edited by PhilNW
  • Thanks 1

DamirGTI

Try 405 rubber mounts if you wish , i have them on my daily 205 (around -30 lowered with Eibach springs) it's the same mount as 205/309 but in one piece .

Ride quality is better , less harsh on bumpy roads ...

405.jpeg

• Like 1

greenclaws1975
On 5/31/2024 at 8:52 PM, DamirGTI said:

Try 405 rubber mounts if you wish , i have them on my daily 205 (around -30 lowered with Eibach springs) it's the same mount as 205/309 but in one piece .

Ride quality is better , less harsh on bumpy roads ...

405.jpeg

Thanks  I might give those a try if the ride is too harsh on the old rubber mounts  :)