• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Don Howarth

Is it worthwhile to remove a cat convertor in a '92 205 CTi 1.9 "grey import" from Japan?

Don Howarth

Hi folks from New Zealand. I have recently bought a 1992 1.9 CTi Cabrio with 4 speed ZF auto + power steer which was a Japanese market car with lower compression XU9 motor(8.4:1) producing 76 kW(102 bhp) & fitted with cat convertor to meet Japanese emission regs.

I am considering removing the catalytic convertor, as cars of this year (1992) DID NOT require emission controls in N. Z. and I suspect it is no longer effective after 32 years use?  Will the engine need retiming. The car has a 2 1/2 " diameter exhaust system, so I will have a 2 .5" pipe fitted in place of the cat.

I also have a 1.6 CTi which I have restored, without power steer and I find the steering so darned heavy that the power steered car with 1.9 engine is more user friendly at my age, I am 80 years young and this is my 4th CTi Cabrio, I have also owned 2 x 1.9 GTi hatchbacks in my younger days and really enjoy the 205 GTi/CTi for their iconic looks & go kart like handling. Cheers 

Don Howarth, Auckland, N.Z.

welshpug

Honestly, if it aint broken dont fix it.

welshpug

As for the heavy steering is it still on good 14" tyres? 

SRDT

Simply removing the cat won't do much, this 105hp engine is the "clean" version of a 105hp carb engine.

Don Howarth

The 1.6 CTi is on  old 185/55R15"  tyres on Speedline 15"  GTi wheels. Tyre pressures 32 psi. The 1.9 injected auto/p.s. car is on 14" original  Speedlines with 185/60R14 tyres with pressures of 30 psi. Should I swap the wheels on the 2 cars? The 14 " tyres on the 1.9 are newer  Continental tyres with about 6mm tread depth.

P1110380.JPG

welshpug

If you have both ita certainly worth a try, they're never especially heavy,  so if its still a bit much I'd be checking the top mounts and lower steering column,  lastly the rack itself.