• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Omorgan

MI16 Coolant Hose Routing

Omorgan

Hello again, sorry I have a lot of questions at the moment.

While I'm building my MI16 205, the coolant hose routing seemed wrong and I want to change it to be correct.

I have used the diagram that was already on the forum and edited to show the old setup vs how I'd like to do it.

I'll have to purchase a GTI expansion tank as my base model only had an overflow with one in/output.

I have a diesel twin fan radiator with one main output and a small one also. My main query is if there will be enough flow from this to feed the heat exchanger before it heads back into the thermostat housing?

Thank you all.

cooling.png

pug_ham

Keep it as close to the original 205 GTI 8v layout as possible imo.

The lower block coolant housing can be swapped to the 8v one to remove the pipe that runs up along the back to the metal pipe along head into the thermostat housing & blank off the connection for the it there.

All having twin fans does is cool the engine quicker when they are one so not strictly necessary.

Throttle body doesn't need to be connected in, same goes for the oil / water heat exchanger really.  Removing this gives more room for the oil filter too.

The diesel radiator should be the same as the GTI one.

g

• Like 1

Omorgan

Thanks for that Graham.  Is there a reason to blank the line from the water block to the thermostat off there in particular? Only because its all installed now with a new gasket.  I was only going to wire up the one fan for now and see if I needed the second. (I guess I wont be). 

But that's good to know and definitely simplifies the routing somewhat, the oil filter is definitely very busy. 

A further question - I have bought aftermarket Oil temp, oil pressure and coolant temp gauges as I have the base model clocks which show nothing. I have sorted the oil pressure gauge but am unsure on the best place to tap into the oil and coolant systems for the temperature gauges if you have any ideas?

Edited diagram here - 

Cheers, Owen.

coolant-2.png

pug_ham
On 5/2/2024 at 4:34 PM, Omorgan said:

Thanks for that Graham.  Is there a reason to blank the line from the water block to the thermostat off there in particular? Only because its all installed now with a new gasket.  I was only going to wire up the one fan for now and see if I needed the second. (I guess I wont be). 

But that's good to know and definitely simplifies the routing somewhat, the oil filter is definitely very busy. 

A further question - I have bought aftermarket Oil temp, oil pressure and coolant temp gauges as I have the base model clocks which show nothing. I have sorted the oil pressure gauge but am unsure on the best place to tap into the oil and coolant systems for the temperature gauges if you have any ideas?

Just to simplify the system & remove any possible hose failure points through old hoses from the system, fewer joints / hoses so less places for leaks or failures.

There should be a place in the sump on the Mi16 already for the oil temp sender, usually on the back of the sump & also a coolant temp sender on the thermostat housing.

If you have the full twin fan relay set up to fit then you might as well use both fans as it's a more reliable set up that the original 205, although your base model might not have the wiring in the engine bay / lighting loom sat unused to utilize and make this a relatively simple thing to fit.

g

• Like 1

Omorgan

Thanks Graham, I'll have a look on thr sump for a spot for it. I agree I'll see how temps do and if they get high ill connect another relay to the other fan from the same trigger.

Cheers.