• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

To cool or not to cool (oil)

Richie-Van-GTi

What are people's experiences with the 4rs engine with and without an oil cooler?

I have a standard xsara vts engine in a 206 that I raced, the engine ran without a thermostat, 13 row oil cooler in front of a tankless xsara vts rad and no heater matrix etc.

Engine always ran nice and cool on track, overheated stood still on the grid sometimes but the fan kept it in check.

I am now ripping the car apart and putting the engine into a 205 road car, this will have a matrix and thermostat etc, could i ditch the oil cooler? I dont recall what was standard,  maybe an oil/water heat transfer unit?

Engine will be 88mm crank, s16 pistons, ph4 cams and 45mm bodies with PAS if it makes a difference?

SRDT

Oil/water as standard on the RS, and also on the 205 1.9 GTI with PAS.

welshpug

over cooling is not great for an engine as they'll run rich all the time.

on mine I've always left it standard with the original heat exchanger present, as a standard 2.0 or the 2.2, oem 83 degree thermostat.

Richie-Van-GTi

It hovered around 85 on track which was pretty much ideal. With the new car I want it to be simple as possible but not at the risk of damage. I will try and source the original heat exchanger for it, thanks

stef205

We use a 16 row rad and no stat and log a consistent 70deg oil temp around combe, we use 10w/60 vr1 oil. I've not noticed any noticeable downside but I guess depending on the cars use you might be able to get away with out a cooler. I have seen the odd story of stats getting stuck.