• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Headlight Adjuster for motorised headlights (part needed!)

wildejon

Hey all,

I need to replace (or fix, doubtful...) the variable resistor that controls the headlight adjustment (German 205).

Does anyone know where I might get this part from, or if they're some kind of off-the-shelf item?

(It looks like I can remove the central part here too, it's just a few blobs of silicon or something holding it in).

Thanks!

1971094467_Headlghtadjuster1.thumb.jpg.f31eb511ddc2058e1f7bc1f60b2e09d1.jpg855352207_Headlightadjuster2.thumb.jpg.f9bc78321852eb04c4775e5428b5c97d.jpg

welshpug

that look very not-oem!      I thought the 205 had a system like the 309, hydraulic plastic lines from a physical knob, similar to the heater knobs

SRDT

Yes that's all but oem! Inside it's not even a dedicated printed circuit that is used but a piece of stripboard.

This is actually good news because the potentiometer must also be a pretty standard component.

image_46802.jpg

That said maybe simply using a bit of contact cleaner spray can do the trick.

If you want to change the pot you need to find a part number on it, if you can't then you need a multimeter to find the resistor value and see if it's linear.

Edited by SRDT
  • Like 1

SRDT

Sorry double post

Edited by SRDT
Double post

wildejon
On 3/29/2022 at 5:52 PM, welshpug said:

that look very not-oem!      I thought the 205 had a system like the 309, hydraulic plastic lines from a physical knob, similar to the heater knobs

Yeah, I think the previous owner (who had it from new), binned the original system and replaced it with a 'more modern' approach...

Thanks @SRDT, good point. I'll give it a try! (I tend to leave electronics working less well than before I touch them)