• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rikky

Sidelight loom plug connector

rikky

The back of my sidelights has two crimped connectors on there and it bugs me. Is there a proper connector that lived on there at some point? 

I've had a scour around and can't see the sidelight plug. Anyone know what sort it would be? I could do with getting a pair of them, with the matching pins that go into it, to re-crimp and make good again.

Halfords and other places sell a standard looking 501 connector, like this photo attached. Suppose I could use something like that if it fits the headlight and a matching plug, if it's different to the 205 one and makes life easier. 

And use something like this for it: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-114-junior-timer-and-power-timer-connectors/c-213-junior-timer-connectors/p-589-2-pole-female-connector

:huh:

Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 01.15.36.png

Edited by rikky

jackherer

That looks just like a Citroen Xantia bulb holder which does indeed fit a 205 headlight and then you can use the water resistant power timer plugs you linked to. It's a nice solution given how prone to corrosion the standard connectors are.

It's nice to know they are widely available, I assumed they were dealer only.

Get some Contralube 770 too and you wont have to fix the sidelights and rear fig light for every MOT any more!

welshpug

I did this on mine about 10 years ago when the wires broke off the original plug, which was a white 2 pin variant if the brown ones.

DSYKES5500
4 hours ago, jackherer said:

That looks just like a Citroen Xantia bulb holder which does indeed fit a 205 headlight and then you can use the water resistant power timer plugs you linked to. It's a nice solution given how prone to corrosion the standard connectors are.

It's nice to know they are widely available, I assumed they were dealer only.

Get some Contralube 770 too and you wont have to fix the sidelights and rear fig light for every MOT any more!

Jack, where do you get Contralube from? I'm really struggling to get hold of it. I did buy some last week but got a refund today because they realised they were out of stock :(

jackherer
On 9/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, DSYKES5500 said:

Jack, where do you get Contralube from? I'm really struggling to get hold of it. I did buy some last week but got a refund today because they realised they were out of stock :(

I think it came from https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/827/category/154 but that was a while ago and I see they are out of stock too. I can only see the 8g sachets wherever I look which is weird.

Edit: Rapid say it has been discontinued https://www.rapidonline.com/contralube-770-87-0088

Edited by jackherer

DSYKES5500

It seems to have vanished into thin air.  Contralube.com is something TOTALLY different now :blush::lol:

I'll keep searching.  I'll ping you a PM if I find the bigger bottles anywhere.

jackherer

I have a vague memory of this being discussed before now you mention contralube.com! A quick search found me mentioning it a year ago but I didn't connect the nsfw website with a lack of contralube availability.

I'd definitely appreciate a PM if you find it for sale, sadly it looks like it doesn't exist any more. I'm trying to work out who made it but contralube is all that comes up, I would have expected a big multinational corporation to be behind it but I can't find one.