• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AlexRS2782

Gear knobs - Opinions on the various reproductions

AlexRS2782

As per the thread title, and as a result of my O.E knob cracking in two and falling apart in the recent hot spell, i'm now having to look into replacing the gear knob.  Thankfully my o.e cap with the gear logo on is still intact so can be reused.

I had been thinking about getting something retro from the modding scene back in the mid '90's but tbh I quite like the O.E setup so I guess it's a case of looking at the current batch of reproductions out there.

Having had a look online there seem to be a couple of UK sellers that have done reproductions (Desborough Designs & another guy who seems to have done a limited run batch for his own car in Nottingham), I believe Peugeot Museum France have done a version and a seller in Italy also popped up on eBay but based on the pics of the packing I think he's reselling the Museum ones.

Anyone on here have any experience of the current reproductions good, bad or otherwise?  I'm not massively concerned about getting it to look 100% as it would have left the factory / concours but would definitely want a decent fitment - i.e not something that fits loosely / wobbles on the shaft (oh er), or doesn't sit straight.

Many Thanks.

DamirGTI

I have an 106 Rallye Ph1 knob on mine , i cut just the top part/ball , painted the numbers red (Rallye knob has blue painted numbers) an fitted on ... looks good (well , to me at least ) and feels better in hand while shifting as it's an true round shape ...

Shame OE knobs really dislike heat , i used to put an hat over the knob to protect it from heat ! especially during the summer time ... but that didn't help either mine split in half last year/summer ..

D

sp_en_ny

I bought my gear knob from a guy off here, Rjuhar I think his name was, a little more expensive then most other places but it sits perfectly straight, looks identical to the original and feels a little softer so has a bit flex and so less likely to split and crack. Been on the car several years and not had any issues whatsoever. Would defo buy another one if need be, I think he also does different coloured diagrams of the gears.

I think the biggest issue with some of the copies is them not sitting straight and angled to one side and so its clear is a poor repo.

Edited by sp_en_ny