• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nzpug

Plastic Panel That Divides Engine Bay From Wheel Well - Both Sides?

nzpug

Hi there,

I've been searching around trying to answer a question: as standard, should there be a black plastic panel that separates the engine bay/end of the gearbox from the wheel well?

That is, my car has one on the right-hand side/driver's side (lower down beneath the actual steel of the body - the pic of the blue car below) that separates the engine bay from the wheel well, but not one on the left-hand side/passenger's side. The left-hand side has holes in the metal around there, which makes me think something could be put there/should be there (the grey wheel well pictured below)?

Apologies if my description isn't very helpful - see the pictures attached.

Cheers,

Matt

post-3465-0-80426800-1489106546_thumb.jpg

post-3465-0-57285800-1489106563.jpg

Edited by nzpug

Gaz205

Yes, mine has them

welshpug

never seen one on a gti, not enough clearance on full lock.

wicked

Yes, mine has them

Can you show a picture?

I've never seen one on the left side.

soundguy

I saw a 1.6GTi in a breakers which had one on.

Gaz205

Can you show a picture?

I've never seen one on the left side.

My car is near side against a fence under a cover in bits waiting collection for a respray plus I have no idea how to upload a picture!

It looks the same as in the ones you have although it's now held on by 2 shortened cable ties and a bolt!

yorkshirekowboy

I have this panel but for the offside. Can anybody confirm before I put it on it will fowl the wheels as stated above? I will see if I can get one for the nearside.

welshpug

gti always had one on the engine side, they sit far enough under the chassis leg not to rub a standard wheel with a 195 tyre.

the transmission side does not have enough clearance, a 195 tyre will rub the steel end casing on full lock.

Gaz205

gti always had one on the engine side, they sit far enough under the chassis leg not to rub a standard wheel with a 195 tyre.

the transmission side does not have enough clearance, a 195 tyre will rub the steel end casing on full lock.

Maybe mine was put on by the last owner hence the poor fixings? It's a 1600 with the smaller wheels and power steering, does it have a different steering clearance? I don't know! There are clearly some with and some without for whatever reason.WP knows his stuff so maybe it's best not to put it on

yorkshirekowboy

Welshpug is that with 195/50r15 tyres?

welshpug

1.6 should in theory have slightly more clearance, the hubs give 10mm extra track width, and though the wheels have 6mm less offset they are half an inch narrower.

never seen or tried to fit one though so I cannot say for definite, there are no exposed moving parts that end of the engine bay so I wouldn't worry about it myself.

welshpug

Welshpug is that with 195/50r15 tyres?

yes, diameter is actually 8mm less than the 185 55, but obviously they do have an extra 5mm a side on the shoulder.

I've never had a 185 on the front of mine but I'd imagine with them being slightly taller it would still be damned close.

yorkshirekowboy

Awesome thank you. ???? the picture at the top of the post shows the brake pad sensor wire on the outside of the panel in question. I have cable tied mine to the water pipe at the back which I always had done anyway so the panel protects that aswell. I don't think it gets hot enough really to do any damage to the wire.

Edited by surferkid205

nzpug

Thanks everyone for your replies - sounds like it never had one (and shouldn't).

mrfirepro

No sure they were fitted to GTI's.

But there is one fitted on this (fantastic)project

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=153104&page=13

It doesn't fit properly, so I am sure they never had them. I had to modify it to get it to fit and that wasn't that good in the end.

thanks for your kind comment :)

Edited by mrfirepro

kenneth205xld

The plastic trim is fitted to only the offside of my 205's and none of them are GTI's.