• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

yorkshirekowboy

Remote Central Locking Circuit Board Making Waterproof?

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, I'm sure I have read some where on here, that one of the main causes of a fire is down to the sunroof area leaking water and causing the remote central locking pcb board to cause a fire?

If this is the case, obviously apart from fixing the leak which I would think would be down to sunroof handle seals, and the aerial base?, maybe making some sort of cover which covers the exposed pcb board would cure this which is a "just in case" mod? Anybody thought or done this?

jackherer

I've been meaning to do something about this problem for a while. I think a dedicated fuse is the best bet, I plan on measuring the current draw of the receiver (which I expect to be very small) then choosing a fuse accordingly. If the fuse is small enough fire becomes impossible.

yorkshirekowboy

That's a good idea. I'm having to disconnect my battery everytime just in case which is crazy. I would have thought some sort of cover would be a good idea also, like a big bit of heatshink, shrunk around but then it wouldn't go back in the housing I don't think. Hmmm ????

welshpug

its the aerial not the sunroof handle that causes it, just a bit of sealant under ht base will fix it.

fixed the same issue on a 2008 citroen C1 recently, it was blowing the radio and interior lighting fuse.

Edited by welshpug

jackherer

It's true, mine hasn't even got a sunroof and it still leaked even with a brand new genuine Peugeot aerial base!

yorkshirekowboy

So really making a cover to go over it is a waste of time? I just think it should have been a sealed unit or at least a screwed unit.

Ryan

I've been meaning to do something about this problem for a while. I think a dedicated fuse is the best bet, I plan on measuring the current draw of the receiver (which I expect to be very small) then choosing a fuse accordingly. If the fuse is small enough fire becomes impossible.

I measured 5mA (0.05 amps) when the receive is idle. It will go up when a signal is received, but probably not by much.

Edited by Ryan

jackherer

You certainly wont do any harm with a cover, a deflector panel might even be enough.

Ryan, that's great info, thanks. The peak during operation should be brief enough to not blow even a tiny fuse.

yorkshirekowboy

Sorry what do you mean by a deflector panel?

jackherer

Just some sort of plate over the receiver for any water to run across so it goes around the receiver rather than into it.

acox99

I've put a bag over mine and waterproofed around the wires with an elastic band to tie it and used a glue gun to seal it. It doesn't effect it and water cannot get in to it.

Anthony

I've put a bag over mine and waterproofed around the wires with an elastic band to tie it and used a glue gun to seal it. It doesn't effect it and water cannot get in to it.

That's pretty much what I did with mine a few years back - somewhat crude, but does a good enough job of preventing any water ingress should the aerial leak.

yorkshirekowboy

I presume the bag is clear? I would have though it would affect the IR as they are not the best anyhow. Good idea though and think its the route I'll go down. ????

Anthony

Yes, clear. Could always poke the IR receivers out of a hole in the bottom of the bag as that'll still be fine to prevent water ingress from above.

Miles

Just varnish the PCB, it's common place in the MOD as I've done it for them,

• Like 1