• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
apollo996

Electric Window Issue

apollo996

I've got a strange issue with a passenger front electric window motor. It works if I connect a battery to it directly but not on the car. I have replaced it by borrowing one from another 205. As such, I know the wiring on the car is also fine. Any suggestions? thank you

Anthony

A faulty switch on either side stops the passenger window working completely, so that's where I'd start.

apollo996

I've replaced the window motor with a spare I had so its not the switches. It works with the replacement motor using all the existing switches.

• Like 1

Anthony

Apologies, I misunderstood your post and thought the 2nd motor didn't work either. If that works then yes I agree the switches should be OK

What do the contacts look like on the motor that doesn't work on the car- shiny or corroded? A bad connection could give similar issues.

If you plug it into the door loom with the motor out of the car, does it work then? Only other thought is that it is working but too weak to move the glass... although you normally hear something from the motor when you press the button.

apollo996

I will check the connections but it didn't work either in or out when plugged into the loom. Worked well when I connected it directly to a battery, however.

toolie72

Might be high resistance in motor

Brushes or dirt

Would run of a battery as it'll just suck it dry (oo-er)

Dendo

Hi got a similar problem with my gti operates perfect if you use the button on the passenger side but won't work from drivers side both switches are fine turns out to be a wiring proble from driver's side to passenger side

Edited by Dendo
  • Like 1

apollo996

Well my issue isn't the same as I replaced the motor and it works okay now. The wiring and switches are fine

Simes

Hi got a similar problem with my gti operates perfect if you use the button on the passenger side but won't work from drivers side both switches are fine turns out to be a wiring proble from driver's side to passenger side

Swap the switches over to test.

You'll find it's the drivers switch for passenger is causing the fault.

• Like 1

apollo996

:unsure:​

Thanks but that's helping the other guy who joined onto the thread. No good for me

jackherer

Do you have a multimeter? If so plug the suspect motor back in and measure the voltage on its plug while you press the button.

Henry Yorke

It sounds like the motor is at fault. They go sluggish over time as the brushes wear / dirt gets in them. Getting a good feed direct from a battery will mean there is enough current to drive it compared to a thin wire in a 25 year old loom.

Options:

1. Replace motor with a known working one.

2. Try and strip it down and give it a good clean

Personally I would go for option 1 as if option 2 fails, that will be your only choice!