• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bovien

Fogs Turn On With High Beam

Bovien

My fogs turn on when I click to high beam together with the actual high beam of the main lights. MOT guy not too happy about it. I do have the dog switch in the dash, but it is not connected to anything.

Can anyone describe the wireing I need to change to enable them as regular fogs in stead of the current setup?

Anthony

They're not fogs but driving lights - they're meant to come on with the high beams!

steve@cornwall

Maybe re think your choice of mot station ?

Bovien

Really?? Several people with 205 has asked my why my fogs work as high beams, as theirs don't.

This MOT guy also had a 205 where they are fogs and not high beams.

Why do I have a fog switch that is not connected to anything? Would that enable fogs while running dipped beam on main lights?

Could it be a difference from EU to UK cars? I'm in Denmark, and as far as I know my car is originally French sold

Edited by Bovien
  • Like 1

jackherer

The fog light switch is for the rear fog light.

Check the markings on the driving/fog lights, if they are driving lights you can't just wire them as fogs, the beam is totally different.

Gaz205

Maybe re think your choice of mot station ?

????

welshpug

This MOT guy also had a 205 where they are fogs and not high beams.

was it a GTI?

as mentioned above, Fog switch is for the rear, which the MOT tester should have tested anyway so would have known, as there is no switch for the not fog lamps on the front.

Gaz205

If this M.O.T guy is saying they need to work as fog lights then he is going to cost you money. Remove them and get a re test, if they aren't fitted they don't have to work

Bovien

Gaz205, you have a point there (not that you others don't). I could just remove them. However, he forgot to put in the report and I'm not going there next time, so hopefully no issue. I would just like to get the lights working as supposed.

I have two switches for fogs though. One for the rear and another for fronts (as the symbol has dipped fogs showing, as is the standard for front fogs). This is why I thought the other guys were on to something.

I have attached a couple of pics of my console and the fog switch I'm going on about

post-22144-0-17291500-1484077587_thumb.jpeg

post-22144-0-32105000-1484077593_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Bovien

Gaz205

I've never ever seen any 205 with front fogs, only driving lights, I think the majority will suggest wiring them back to the main beam provided they are driving lights not aftermarket fog lights.

That switch is more than likely from another model, it looks very out of place, good luck though

Bovien

Interesting. But we can agree that the lower lights only come on as high beam and not boatman driving/dipped beam?

• Like 1

Gaz205

They flash when the lights aren't on when you flash other cars etc and stay on if you have your main beam on in conjunction with your headlights

• Like 1

Ryan

I've never ever seen any 205 with front fogs, only driving lights, I think the majority will suggest wiring them back to the main beam provided they are driving lights not aftermarket fog lights.

That switch is more than likely from another model, it looks very out of place, good luck though

I think front fogs were an option on some non-GTI models. That front fogs switch is listed on servicebox for the 205, so it was used somewhere.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

I have that switch fitted on a diesel 205 because it had extra fog lights fitted in the grille. So you're may have had extra lights fitted at some point? Is the centre switch a blank or does it have a function?. My diesel has an a/c switch as the panel was only available with 3 or 5 holes apparently.

Bovien

Good to know ????????

My centre button is a blank..

Rjuhar

You have both on GTIs. Since you have the switch maybe the car had fogs as the switch itself is quite hard to find. It all depands what glass pattern you have.

Fogs:

2d8miw9.jpg

Driving lights:

b7f42v.jpg

post-17785-0-59734600-1484120370_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rjuhar

Bovien

Mine are definatly the 'driving lights' kind. Still baffled that you call it driving lights, as I only have them on @ high beam flash or driving (country/deserted highway). My understanding of driving lights are lights that are one when running normal "citylike" dipped beam. But hey, that can be lost in translation :)

Rjuhar

The main difference between driving lights and fog lights is that driving lights are used in vehicle to provide elucidation forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlight system. While fog lights are used to reflect the fog, snow, or dust particles in the air and are developed for use on dangerously thick conditions.

I don't know about UK but in Slovenia when you're taking the driving licence theory you use high beams at night unless there is traffic or pedestrians in the opposite direction or you've caught up with the vehicle driving in the same direction (less than 200 m) or within built up areas so it basically means on all open roads when you're allone on the road.

Bovien

I don't know about UK but in Slovenia when you're taking the driving licence theory you use high beams at night unless there is traffic or pedestrians in the opposite direction or you've caught up with the vehicle driving in the same direction (less than 200 m) or within built up areas so it basically means on all open roads when you're allone on the road.

exactly (I'm in Denmark). Which is why, the lower lamps are high beam lights and not dipped (driving). Correct?

Rjuhar

This is my understanding. Maybe I've got this wrong...

dipped ≠ high beams

high beams = driving lights

Bovien

Yup, but why do you (and the others) call the lower lights for driving lights, if they are only on with the high beam? Yours are also only on with the high beam, right?
I'm trying to figure if non-UK cars have another function with the lower lights than the UK

nomis

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have the opposite problem. My driving lights don't come on at all - even on full beam.

I've never got round to investigating it.

First place will be the fuse box, but to save me hunting for the information, can anyone tell me which fuse it is, please?

Also if it isn't the fuse, any thoughts on what are the most common causes of driving lights not working?

Thanks

welshpug

Yup, but why do you (and the others) call the lower lights for driving lights, if they are only on with the high beam?

because that's what they are called.

• Like 1

Bovien

because that's what they are called.

ok then. I'll just shut up now :)

• Like 1

welshpug

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have the opposite problem. My driving lights don't come on at all - even on full beam.

I've never got round to investigating it.

First place will be the fuse box, but to save me hunting for the information, can anyone tell me which fuse it is, please?

Also if it isn't the fuse, any thoughts on what are the most common causes of driving lights not working?

Thanks

no fuse purely for them, just a relay on the scuttle panel.

typical fault is corroded terminals in the yellow two pin plugs near the headlamps.