• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hoodygoodwood

Resoldering A Heated Rear Window Spade Connector

hoodygoodwood

One of the spade end wiring connectors on my 309's heated rear window ( phase 1 type ) has come away from the glass . It looks like it was soldered in place and I want to refit it but am wary of applying any heat to the glass side of the soldered connection . I was thinking of heating the spade terminal with a soldering iron and adding plenty of solder then lowering it into position on the square of solder on the glass and hopefully it will fuse together .

Has anyone tried this ?

JamPug

Mine has also come away so would love to find out as well.

dcc

Mine too, i plan to glue it on and use a circuit board pen

Tom Fenton

You can buy a conductive adhesive. I reckon that's the best way to go about the repair.

B1ack_Mi16

You can buy a conductive adhesive. I reckon that's the best way to go about the repair.

I did manage to actually solder the metal part back onto the 405 rear window using a heat gun with some distance just to get the surrounding temperature up a bit, and using the soldering iron to actually solder it on again.

Seemed to work fine.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

GLPoomobile

I'm just hypothesising here, but wouldn't such a large glass area easily disperse the heat from a soldering iron, meaning no potential for damage to the window? I know when ever I've soldered stuff the heat dissipates very quickly just a few cm from the point you are soldering, if there is anything connected. Even just soldering unconnected wires, you can apply enough heat for the job but still hold the wires a couple of inches down stream and the wire isn't hot at that point.

Edited by GLPoomobile

B1ack_Mi16

That's why I did use the heat gun at some distance, to get more heat into the surroundings too, so the soldering iron would work better.

jackherer

There was a post on here years ago where someone cracked their screen with a soldering iron so be careful!

A heatgun might actually be better due to heating the screen more evenly.

JamPug

That looks promising Dan, let me know how it goes ????

hoodygoodwood

The glue looks interesting and could work but its removable with soap and water so it might soften up with condensation on the glass . Will probably try carefully soldering it after warming the glass and putting all the real heat into the spade terminal , will wait till it warms up a bit - its freezing in the garage at the moment .