• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Motorsport Artist

Perpex Windows Question

Motorsport Artist

I am looking to fit precut perspex windows to the rear and side windows of my 205. I also want to fit opening sliders to the front ones as they will be fixed. Can anyone recommend a decent manufacturer they have had experience of for the supply of perspex windows please? (I understand that you can buy some rubbish ones that are false economy because they scatch really quickly).

Cheers

Fran

Biggles

I got mine from MC Racing (www.http://mcracingsa.com) in France - very pleased with them. Maxirallye on here is apparently now a UK agent. Note that if you want to use them for MSA motorsport, you'll need to ask them to make them from 5mm material (French regs are 5mm for front side, but only 3mm for rear side and tailgate). It's no problem for them, you just need to ask.

j_turnell

I've got some fixed rear quarter window rubbers if you need some.

welshpug

plastics4performance is another one

petert

I think you want polycarbonate, not perspex. Interesting about the regs. It's 4mm on the sides here. There wouldn't be much weight difference between 5mm polycarb. and the standard glass.

Miles

plastics4performance know 205's well and give options on rear qtr windows and know all the different types of material, Perspex is very expensive so watch out

Biggles

I think you want polycarbonate, not perspex. Interesting about the regs. It's 4mm on the sides here. There wouldn't be much weight difference between 5mm polycarb. and the standard glass.

Yes there is - a significant difference.

Plus of course it doesn't shatter and shower you with glass if you hit something.

barneys66

Chap in my club is having to replace the sliders on his historic rally car with up and downs..

Might be worth double checking they're still allowed in your class..?

Mac Crash

Yes there is - a significant difference.

Plus of course it doesn't shatter and shower you with glass if you hit something.

Exactly, plus you save additional weight by being able to remove all the furniture inside the doors.

petert

Perspex would last 10 mins in the Australian sun. Just sayin'.

Biggles

Yes, polycarbonate is the better material in that it is doesn't shatter and is unbreakable in normal use but less scratch resistant so requires a bit more care (like don't wipe it if it's dirty).

Biggles

Chap in my club is having to replace the sliders on his historic rally car with up and downs..

Might be worth double checking they're still allowed in your class..?

Not a period modification presumably ... Legal in non Historic classes (MSA that is).

Edited by Biggles

Motorsport Artist

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful responses. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this forum!

For the last 3 years I have been building a fast road and track 205 with a Pug1Off built 240bhp GTI-6 engine on Jenvey throttlebodies, GTI-6 6 speed gearbox, LSD, PST coilovers, rebuilt rear axle with Group N Bilsteins, SachShift, quicker rack, welded OMP cage, Lifeline extinquisher system etc. etc. The learning curve has been steep but very rewarding. I've asked loads of silly questions, taken hundreds of pics and have been keeping a journal of the whole process. Once I've finished (hopefully in 2017!) I will be happy to share the process with anyone who's interested. My stipulation to Pug1Off was I wanted it to be faster than the supercharged Exige I oner prebviously.

Happy new year to you all!

Fran