• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

Paint Bubble On Rear Arch, Best Way To Fix?

AndrewP

As per the picture below, I have a small paint bubble on the rear passenger side arch with an associated line of rust above the sill. I realise it's hard to say how bad it is from just the picture, but is this likely to be an easy fix (that I could repair to up to and including primer and then get it sprayed professionally) or is it likely hiding a complete nightmare underneath. The drivers side rear arch also has a small paint bubble in the same place but no line of rust, so this is the worst side.

I'm pretty handy with most things so happy to give fixing it a go, but only if I'm reasonably confident of success, and right now I'm not exactly sure what I'm dealing with!

6RpJZemB.jpg

Gaz205

From the pic it looks like it's been repaired before possibly. I wouldn't have thought a body shop wouldn't charge too much to do the whole job tbh but the more you do the less you pay. I'd expect a good blow over of your repair to be less than or around £100

Telf

looks similar to mine- I've had it repaired twice and it keeps coming back.

It seems water was getting in from the wheel arch possibly flicked around from the rotten rear bumper side holder panel. - if your interested have a look at my thread rust rust and more rust!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=169089

Anyway having removed the sealant coating on the sill we found the sill at the rear- as in your picture was rotten so that's getting replaced and the panel itself rusts from inside just where it joins with the wheel arch. If you remove the rear passenger trim inside the car you will see a load of seam sealant between panel and arch.

Remove the sealant and the rust/rot seems ( in my case) to be there.

Edited by Telf
  • Like 1

flyfisher

Hi I've been in the motor trade for 35 years there are several ways you can approach this al will look good when first done but because it's a high impact area I e I front of rear wheels and very likely to suffer from high impact from stone chipping and water and mud from rear wheels some will last longer than others if it were mine I would take whole area back to bare metal cut out all the rot probably be a hole in front of wheel anyway then sand blast any lighter rust treat with a quality rust remover fabricate a repair patch weld in and grind flush 2 pac prime refinish and the wax oil from inside rearqaurter panel That's about best you can do

AndrewP

Thanks very much, all great advice. I'll have a look in more depth tomorrow and the get it to a bodyshop in the New Year.

Although I could have a v=crack at it myself, I'm more inclined to let someone do it properly first time rather than me doing a half-arsed job.

flyfisher

Yes I agree as they should have all the gear make sure you state exactly what you want. And you should get a quality repair

B1ack_Mi16

First you need to remove the complete amount of cracked seam sealer between the sill and the wing till the B-pillar.

In there it will be rust, get it sandblasted. Also sandblast all signs of corrosion on the visilble parts of the panel of course.

Treat with proper chemicals and paint, then add new sealant between the sill and rear wing.

Now, prep the panel itself and paint the visible areas.