• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Takentoxs

Xs Suspension Improvements

Takentoxs

I took my xs to an autosolo yesterday where the failings of the suspension were obvious to all. It was rolling all its weight onto the front wheel at every corner. The tyres 165/70/13 were at the point of coming off the rim. At one point watching a mate drive the rim must have been 1cm from the tarmac! The unloaded rear wheel was off the ground in most corners. Handbrake and left foot braking helped a bit.

What can I do to improve things. Lower profile tyres are on the shopping list. I'm thinking stiffer torsion bar and arb at the rear and 180lb springs at the front to start with.

People are probably going to say fit a gti subframe. I have been looking for one for ages but i haven't seen one that is bit silly money and I'm not sure how much it would help anyway.

Miles

You got it, the GTi subframe with the better ARB set up helps allot and the same on the rear with at Least GTi torsion bars, and ARB with end plates as they are thicker as well, Spring wise up front depends on dampers really, no point going too hard on something that cannot control them

Type-R

Kilen 309 GTI front springs will work and are relatively cheap. Maybe Xsara ones? dunno.

Last I looked GTI subframes were still relatively cheap and plentiful on ebay, if you're struggling you could always try leboncoin (French version of gumtree) - 205 and 309 front and rear subframes are everywhere and about half what you'd pay in the UK. Same story with new parts on French motorsports sites. Shame about shipping costs.

O/T - Why does it cost more to get things sent over from China than it does France?

Gaz205

Spencer (speno) on here is selling all the running gear from a 1600.

If he says it's good then it will be and the price seems reasonable.

Search the for sale section

Gaz

Takentoxs

Good price but too far away. I'm

On the south coast

And

If you know what you are doing base model front sub frames are easy to modify to take gti arms.

Takentoxs

Interesting. Tell me more. I'm fairly handy with a mig

welshpug

its just a C-shaped bracket welded on to take the rear bush.

And

As Mei says, I would say it's more of c shape with a 90 on both ends pointing outwards away from the centre, TBH if you used a gti subframe you need to cut the gear linkage mounting bracket off and weld the xs ma one on any way so just as easy to make brackets out of 2mm steel and weld them on and a small trim, for arm clearance/ movement inside the bracket, I modified my subframe for more caster with the pts bottom arms so is easier for me to start with a base model subframe. If you look you can see on the base model subframe the area they fit too.

Edited by And