• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

scottc2010

Track Rod Bellows Help Needed

scottc2010

Hi,

I have a knocking that has turned into the car wobbling slightly - I have replaced the front suspension both sides, arm on the passenger side and both drop links.

I have had a feel of the bellows on the passenger side and at the joint of the track rod I can move something which feels like a bolt - is this something fairly easy to remedy?

Miles

If you have play on the rack (Pass side) it's the bush worn (Common) dead easy to replace but the rack needs to come apart, parts around £4.00 but worth doing it all

• Like 1

scottc2010

Thanks, I will check this out in the morning

scottc2010

Hi, I have managed to free the bellows on the passenger side and slide towards the track rod end - it has revealed a bolt or washer that is loose - it is round with one flat end - is this broken or can it be reattached?

scottc2010

In addition there was a donk with the steering - I have had new suspension and the top mounts were checked and ok. I have tightened the main bolt on the top strut which has helped - there is a bolt inside it with an allen key too but not sure what if anything I should do with this also

welshpug

hard to tell from your description without a picture.

the allen key hole in the top of the damper is to hold the shaft whilst you tighten the nut.

Miles

They should be no bolts under the bellows, it;s the arm that has a ball joint which itself screws into the rack with a washer with a locating tap and a spring locking tab washer, For the £15.00 they cost it's worth doing

Ozymandis

Is your steering rack manual or power assisted?

scottc2010

Thanks for all the help - I will investigate these and buy some new parts if needed

My steering rack is manual

scottc2010

it turned out that this wasn't a problem - in fact the middle section of the top strut mount had been fitted upside down :wacko:​