• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Putte205

Rear Negative Camber Vs Street Use

Putte205

Im going to build myself a new rear beam, with bigger torsion bars and arb. Im also considering to use the swing arms remade with 3 degrees negative camber.

The car isn't a designated track car, and will probably be used more for fun weekend driving with a few trackdays in between.

How bad? will the car handle for "normal" street use? Uneven and fast wear on the tires? Should i stay with standard rear angels or try going negative camber?

And adwise is appreciated

• Like 1

welshpug

what tyres do you use?

petert

I wouldn't do it. There's a lot more things to spend your money on before the rear geometry becomes the limiting factor.

Putte205

For street, i use pilot sport in 16", for trackdays a048 in 15". It it matters im going 23mm bars and 25mm arb.

I came across a pair of 3 degree swingarms cheap a while ago, so they are already on the shelf

dobboy

Think Malc might have the set up you are going for, but on a 309 beam, worth asking.

I've got a complete 309GTI beam that I'd happily part with if you're interested, and if you didn't need the trailing arms it would drop the courier cost significantly I would think.

Putte205

Thanks for the offfer, but i already have all the parts needed, just considering whether to use the modified arms or not..

petert

Given the minimal amount of time it takes to swap arms on a 205, I'd put them on since you've already got them.

Putte205

How bad will it wear my street tyres then, any experiences?

And also, with negative camber, it there even enough room towards the inner arches to use standard wheels? I plan to keep using my T16 wheels, and im not too keen on using spacers..

allanallen

You'll be fine with -3 on the road, it will handle fine and you won't die. It will wear the inner edges prematurely but a 205 is light on the rears so you'll still get a couple of thousand miles out of a set of road tyres.

You may be tight for space on the inner arches, fitting 306 stubs/bearings/discs will help or trymassaging the inner arch a little ;)

Any ideas what toe your arms give at your ride height? that'll make a big difference to the way it handles...

Avoid 309 beams like the plague

Putte205

I can live with a bit shorter life for the rear tyres, handling im sure will be fine for street as well.

Im not sure about toe, guess time will tell when i put the beam together. No idea what car they came of to start with either .

No 309 beam going on my 205!

Thanks for your input guys

allanallen

If they're off a 306 you'll have loads of toe in and it'll be pretty crap to be honest.

Putte205

Should be from 205 as the guy i bougt them from was going to use them om a 205...

However, im pretty sure most of the arms that came to sweden was done in a batch without exchange so cant be sure. I will have a look at them and compare to original ones

allanallen

Do you know who did them and when? I certainly don't remember doing a batch to Sweden, I've done the odd set from memory though.

Putte205

After some searching, it seems it was done around 2010, a batch of 6 pairs bought without exchange. It was done by someone called Martin, crf450 on the gti6 forum. It was also claimed by him 205 and 306 arms are the same.

Edited by Putte205

petert

Before machining they're very different. After machining they could be the same.

allanallen

That's before I worked at bridgecraft so Martin will have indeed done them. They'll be -3 degrees camber and 5mm (ish) toe in on a 306 lowered by around 35mm.

They do indeed fit a 205 using 306 wheel bearings and discs but you will have quite a bit of toe in if the car is lowered.

Putte205

I see, well they are bought for a 205 so hopefully they are correct. The print out from wheel alignment will tell i guess, and it's an easy swap for standard ones if it turns out i have to much toe

Malc

Avoid 309 beams like the plague

Allan, just out out of interest why steer clear of 309 beams? Is this just preference on how the car behaves at the rear, I would guess on a rally car the 205 beam would be the preferred option. Just curious on your thoughts.

I've had both 205 and 309 beams, at the moment running a 309 beam with 25mm ARB and 21.3mm TBs, Group N Billy's, Mine is mainly a track car and to be honest I feel it's excellent, very stable, predictable and can even be steered from the rear given the right conditions.

Could be opening up a debate here, however interested in your opinion on the 309 beams as to why to avoid.

Mac Crash

Think one of the main reasons is that to retain correct handling characteristics, then the front track needs to be wider than the rear track as Peugeot intended.

allanallen

Widening the rear does nothing for handling, it kills turn in, makes the back end feel completely dead and makes the car far harder to rotate. With supporting mods they can of course work and some people prefer the them, for me you completely loose a 205s characteristics. Widening the rear will give more 'grip' at that end and in most cases it's not needed, you need the extra grip at the front....

Have a look at the front and rear track widths of any front wheel drive car worth its salt, all have wider front tracks.

• Like 1