• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

flyfisher

Rattle On My 205Cti

flyfisher

My 205cti has developed a bad rattle every time I go over any bumps /holes in the road seems to come from rear of car have emptied boot still there , I have no spare wheel so not that rear exhalst seem secure on all mounting and rubbers have had fuel tank out recently but that all secure .i even removed it again to day to make sure that it was located right in the two plastic blocks that have slots in them they seem to be located right but rattle is still there. Any one got any other ideals what this could be its driving me mad here's hopeing thanks peter

Anthony

Have you given the beam a full spanner check? I've seen both loose shock mount and ARB end plate mounting bolts give spurious rattles before.

Can you replicate the noise by bouncing the back of the car at a standstill, or if the rattle is easily replicated on the road, a passenger who can sit in the back and help locate the noise?

flyfisher

I've not checked rear beam or rear arb. .ive had mate in pass side rear seat with sender unit bung out to see if movement on tank whilst going over bumps in road. It all seems solid. It clearly coming from rear end of car can't seem to get it at standstill. Only when going over rough road. It sounds like a insecure rear box but that to is ok I'm stumped thanks peter

steve@cornwall

How about the silencer itself? They can fall apart inside.

toolie72

If its worse on roads where the surface is just ripped up a bit,or a series of council repairs-what I mean is a road where there isn't a lot of suspension travel-just short bumps/travel but in quick succession then that would point to a loose rear shock (it's starting to bounce as well as trying to stop car bouncing-it can't keep up)

Easy way is try a pry bar and lever between rear beam and shock-even quarter of a turn on spanner can mean difference between shock being solid or moving a couple of mm (and making a noise)

pugdamo

Granted it wasn't on a CTI but my GTI had a very similar sounding rattle and it was the boot striker plate, there is supposed to be a plastic coating on it and mine had fell apart and it was the tailgate catch rattling against the striker.

Henry Yorke

Rear silencer heat shield? My CTI had an annoying rattle for years on the rear quarters, and then I realised it was missing a very small rubber seal. Once sourced and fitted, it went away!

barneys66

As above, jack it up and support with stands (not on the beam, obviously). Get underneath with a pry bar and see what moves.

I found, just by hand actually, that my top shock mount was loose. Nipped up and rattle gone. Was more of a knock than a rattle though - doubt suspension would 'rattle'.

Good luck - I know how infuriating it can be!

flyfisher

Thanks guys some very good advice will try all thanks again

flyfisher

Problem sorted stupid but was osr calliper bolts loose thanks again guys for your help

barneys66

Not stupid as you identified and fixed it !!

Assume they need a blob of thread lock on there..?

jackherer

Yes 100% they need threadlocking. Also check the sliders are free moving and well greased, if they seize up that can loosen the bolts.