• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

James Cornell

Grumbles And Rumbles

James Cornell

As if often the case with these problems it has been part of a long winded, expensive and drawn out issue. I will try to really briefly explain the issues/resolutions I have already undertaken and hopefully someone has a few ideas about this one...

Ok so the first issue, last year the N/S wheel would squeak on right handers so I

1st changed both wheel bearings and the intermediate bearing on the O/S shaft ...still squeaked

2nd change the N/S driveshaft ...hey presto no squeak

3rd MOT this year failed on a collapsed N/S wheel bearing, although a bit peeved I changed the wheel bearing and took the car for the retest, when I arrived the new bearing had collapsed! Turns out the shaft I bought last year was wrong.

4rd replaced the N/S driveshaft with a pukka one from Spoox and replaced the wheel bearing, passed the MOT and felt good

5th took the car out today and only when turning right and you are going over 30 miles an hour or so there is the most horrendous notching/rumbling coming from the N/S. It does not do it on a left turn (even on WOT) and it does not do it below 30MPH, even on full lock...

6th I stopped the car at the side of the road and gave the wheel a bloody good pull up/down and left/right and it feels properly solid. Reluctantly drove home and that's where I'm at...

I am confused and a bit fed up, I had to drive about 30 miles today but I do not really want to take it out at the moment until I have fixed it.

Any ideas what this new horrible notchy/rumble could be?

Edited by James Cornell

steve@cornwall

If it were mine I'd fit a replacement hub, seems the only thing left. Assuming it's all original spec.

j_turnell

Sounds like the shaft is to long and bottoming out. What's the spec of your drivetrain. 205,309?

toolie72

If you feel it on steering wheel almost like a rhythmic judder-I'd check driveshaft length again

I had a thread "driveshaft wobble"

Mine was when going on roundabouts (o/side)

I had enough "plunge" driveshaft looked the same, but when running on lock it was just too short?!?! WTF

OR you don't have enough preload on bearing/some other hub issue-a rough and ready dti/comparator/pointy stick would show warps etc

James Cornell

Steve - that doesn't sound like a bad shout, pain though as it will be wheel bearing no 4 ????

J-turnell- you may have a point as it was a pig to fit and I really had to push the hub forward hard to get the lower arm to locate properly

Toolie- I have to say it is coming from the steering wheel like you say and it is making me wonder about the length. When you say not enough preload can you clarify as I'm not sure what you mean as it is a pressed bearing?

welshpug

what gearbox do you have?

James Cornell

Hi. Welshpug it's a BE1 box

toolie72

Hi, easier way to say it would be make sure driveshaft nut is TAF-double race bearings can grumble if inner races are moving slightly in/out

You'll find out anyway if driveshaft has to be checked

Never dealt with spoox but at the end of the day driveshafts will be something they buy in so they're not at fault-driveshaft manufacture seems to be hit or miss-just cos its new doesn't mean it's right-as I found out-victor meldrew moment lol

James Cornell

When I torqued the nut up I went to 300Nm (as this is the upper limit of my wrench) but the book stated 265Nm (contrasting with the 325Nm written on the bearing box).

The shaft had to be made as Darren only had 309 shafts (longer track on the 309 so too long for a 205) in at the time so he had one made up. The difficulty is noone really seems to know how long they should be, it is not a parameter that is mentioned on the specs.

I am concerned that if I keep on driving it I am going to cause some damage but the MK1 is in bits at the moment so I have no option but to limp it around for the time being...

welshpug

600mm for a 205, 610 for a 309.

James Cornell

Cheers welshpug you really are the oracle when it comes to the French marque

Just a thought, I'm assuming that your measurements are taken with the driveshaft fully compressed?

welshpug

yes fully compressed :)