• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Sunroof

Phil205

The plunger in the sunroof handle "fell off" a few weeks back.

The part of the handle where the plunger/spring attached to the handle had become brittle and broke away.

I was still able to operate the handle to release the vacuum and slide the roof, for a few weeks, however that has stopped working..

When I rotate the handle now, it is not operating the vacuum. The handle seems to have become detached from the steel tube that acts as its 'centre'.

If I manually depress the vacuum seal "button", the vacuum releases and the sunroof can be slid backwards and forwards.

Any thoughts how I should proceed ?

steve@cornwall

Maybe slid the sunroof glass out the rear, check that the cable.and mechanism are nice and free, lube everything and reassemble with a replacement handle?

Phil205

The sunroof slides ok, with the handle rotated and the vacuum seal "button" pressed.

The cable.and mechanism seem nice and free.

How do you detach the sunroof handle ? Apart from the two off visible nuts, how does it detach ?

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement sunroof handle from ?

welshpug

my box of bits :lol:

Phil205

my box of bits :lol:

Yes please !

How do I get the current handle out ?

Can I fix it or do I need a replacement ?

Phil205

Can anyone post instructions how to remove and replace the sunroof handle ?

steve@cornwall

I can't remember how it's done as its been a while, but it certainly doesn't leave a memory as difficult jobs inevitability do! I think it's one of those jobs that is self explanatory once you start.

Phil205

I can't remember how it's done as its been a while, but it certainly doesn't leave a memory as difficult jobs inevitability do! I think it's one of those jobs that is self explanatory once you start.

I can see that two off nuts need to be removed.

I wasn't sure what else needed to be done, but I didn't want to apply force as everything is quite brittle now !

Can anyone post instructions how to remove and replace the sunroof handle ?

Clarky3rdNut

Picture quality isn't great but here you can make out the two nuts and also the two screws that hold the handle on. Incidentally, it's the two screws that also secure the front of the sunroof trim so go easy on them.

18D9B4F7-EE74-44B9-85A3-03133AB26918.jpg

Phil205

Thankyou.

In order to get at the screws, I need to remove the plastic unit(s) containing the interior lights.

How do I remove the plastic assembly ? It's difficult to see where they are fixed. Does the whole assembly come off in one go or do the separate parts unclip from each other ?

steve@cornwall

Pry out the interior light and there's a screw fixing the assembly to the roof. Once out the unit should pull away from the screen towards the back.

Phil205

Pry out the interior light and there's a screw fixing the assembly to the roof. Once out the unit should pull away from the screen towards the back.

I prised out the interior light, but no sign of the screw fixing the assembly to the roof. Any chance someone could post a photo showing the screw ?