• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

3" Id Coilover Springs?

johnnyboy666

Hello,

I've got some pretty old bilstein fixed platform coilovers, and they use a rather uncommon 3" ID spring.

I'd like to get hold of some softer springs to suit the Scottish roads.

I seem to be drawing a blank on anywhere that sells this size. The only place I've found is Faulkner springs, and they'd be custom made, for somewhere around £75 each!

Does anybody know of a place that sells this diameter?

Option 2 would be to grind down the locator ring on the base plate, tack on a bit of steel tube to accommodate 2.25" springs and get new top caps. Which would cost less than the £150 for 3" springs

Or option 3, cut/grind of the base plate completely and fit one of these universal height adjustable coilover conversion kits (like the old ford guys use) that would again be cheaper than £150 including springs, and would be quite handy for the adjustability factor, but would be a fair bit more work.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

petert

I'd disassemble the shock completely. Cut off the old platform and weld on new 2.25" adjustable platforms.

johnnyboy666

That does seem like the most logical option. And I suppose I might as well go the whole hog whilst they're off the car.

Cheers

calvinhorse

Another vote for option 3, option 2 means you have to be careful with your spring lengths to get the desired ride hight

johnnyboy666

yeah I could definitely do without having to take them off again after 10 minutes when I realise I bought the wrong length springs!

Rippthrough

Milners Off Road. But you'll probably find they're too long and stiff for your application. I have some 300lb ones here, but they have 12 inches of travel....