• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

toolie72

Drop Link Being Hit By Strut

toolie72

Hmmm, put Delphi drop links on a couple of weeks ago as at last mot mechanic said strut clamp bolt was hitting drop link. So to get mot I bent them (when he wasn't looking-with a crowbar lol)

So anyway got round to putting these delphis on-clonk bloody clonk-when going from lock to lock

Put masking tape on drop link yesterday morning as I was going out and about-today witness marks on tape in line with strut clamp bolt

Struts lined up and tang? Is in carrier correctly

Anti roll bar bushes done about a year ago along with wishbones

Not sure if related but when you put car on full lock with bonnet up the strut top nut (and collar) move around-top mounts kaput?!?

WTF-any ideas,help (no giggling) appreciated

welshpug

205 or 306 dampers fitted? clamp bolt fitted the right way round?

toolie72

205 dampers as far as im aware, bolts correct way-it's the head of the bolt that's catching

Could grind it but something must be wrong for it to be like that-grrr

Only gets close when cars down, miles of room when it's jacked up

That's why I put masking tape on all likely bits to clash, so it'd at least have definite (clonk) marks

dcc

Have seen washers being used to space these out slightly (about 8-10mm)

toolie72

Yeah that would work (instead of bending them again@!!lol)

So I'm not the first dumbf@@k to have this-I honeslyt don't know what can be wrong-it's only two holes joined up by the links-one of the holes must be wrong or I've got a short wishbone/strut top moving/something else weird

Biggles

I've got a spacer on one side to stop it fouling. Doesn't seem to cause any problem. I'd put it down to aftermarket dampers and the bracket being slightly out of position.

camgti

How are your top mount bearings in the struts? They can move a little over time when there worn out.

Can you take a photo if the hub clamp and bolt?

Is it both sides? Can the arb have moved a fraction?

Seems strange. Usually starts happening when you add more and more camber. And then the washers/spacers need to come out to move it further out.

Are the dampers seated correctly in the hub clamp?

toolie72

Yeah dampers are fine, passenger side doing it only

Checked roll bar was same both sides (as I replaced bushes last year-paranoid)

Wishbones are fine

Original post I stated that the top strut nut and it's collar seem to move forward when on full lock-tbh I've never noticed it before-suppose the rubber bit (technical term) could be slack

I put that on post as although the drivers side moves its more pronounced on passenger/clonky side

It seems to happen when going from lock to lock with a change in camber ie on roundabouts,hilly roads with corners

(north of Scotland-no straight roads hehe)

Maybe I need to get the wife to get bus and then she wouldn't complain about me going round corners "too fast""it's not the fast and the furious""grow up""etcetc"