• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Graz

Safety Devices Challenge Cage Fitting Issues

Graz

Hey guys

I've got the above cage I'm trying to fit into my xs road rally car having a slight issue with figment and can't figure what's the best thing to do.

Rear half is bolted in place quite well.

Problem is the front legs. Passenger side sits nice and tight in line with the A pillar but the drives side is lower and intrudes into the door aperture more than the passenger side. It looks like it needs the foot plate to be boxed in a few mm to get it to align as nice as the the other one.

My question I guess is, can I do that? Will both legs need to be done the same which makes one look great and one not? Or it's an old car most likely be because it's twisted somewhere and just get it to fit as best as I can using any method?

Many thanks

allanallen

Not quite sure what the problem is but ratchet straps and are often useful tools in situations like this ;)

Simmo

As above, not 100% but my OMP cage was a nightmare to get in, and involved ratchet straps, hammers and a hydraulic ram to get it where it needed to be!

It's not totally square down the A-Pillars, one side is fractionally closer than the other... a combination of both cage and shell probably!

And

Again my omp requires ratchet straps and longer bolts on the front legs to pull them down to but it tensions the shell up more that way..

Graz

Thanks for you responses. I'll try get some photos to show what I mean.

The rear half was bit of a struggle to get in but I was along the same mind that the tighter fit as such the stiffer the shell will be.

Graz

Here we go guys some photos to explain the difference with the front cage legs.

Worth worrying about trying to sort or just carry on as it is?

post-21744-0-80193500-1469283601_thumb.jpeg

post-21744-0-32462000-1469283617_thumb.jpeg

Simmo

Prob won't get it much better than that! Looks similar to mine tbh

Graz

Thanks for your response Paul.

Alan_M

I thought the Challenge Cage front legs went through the dash?

allanallen

C44s went through the dash, I'm assuming some challenge cars used c12 dash dodgers hence people often calling both cages 'challenge'