• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnnyboy666

Bent Billies

johnnyboy666

Well, it seems my curse of knackered shocks continues. Just bought some fixed platform bilstein coilovers based on them being in good working order, and one of them is actually bent.

27266066623_5f5a01b9a0_k.jpgshock by johnnyboy666, on Flickr

27777009832_03c84c7935_k.jpgshock2 by johnnyboy666, on Flickr

It appears to just been the threaded section that's bent, the main section of the insert is straight.

So it looks like I'm going to have to have a go at straightening it. I was thinking removing the top mounts, winding two nuts on, sliding a long socket over them, then a bar over the socket and apply pressure and hope it doesn't snap.

Before I do that, has anybody got a better idea? I don't think heat would be a good idea.

The seller is of course claiming that they were fine before sending, but having looked more closely at the original photos in his for sale post, they were already bent. Although it's likely he didn't know. I'm 100% sure that this kind of damage must've happened with them on a car, not whilst tightly packaged in a box (which was pristine when it arrived)

dcc

You can buy new inserts, but why is your signature so long :(

johnnyboy666

Yeah, but I'd rather have a go at saving these first if possible. I've actually got a single insert from another pair I bought a while back, one of which turned out to be completely shot. I very much doubt they are the same part no. though.

And, because I can :P

toolie72

Chrome bar for hydraulic purposes etc is really soft/crap under the chroming-it has to be, better to lose a ram than cylinder

On that basis-yes you could straighten it but I'd argue the internal structure of the material would be weakened-the stuff really is crap to machine compared to a tool steel etc

• Like 1

welshpug

top bit isnt chromed.

toolie72

Would the thread not be machined into the end of the chrome bar?, point is the bar is bought prechromed in lengths then machined down-that's certainly the case in all hydraulic purposes, I'd have thought it would be the same in the case of struts-if indeed they are made from lengths of prechromed bar then my point about the quality and strength of the material stands-it's soft crap (I was certainly taken by surprise as to how rubbish the material is the first time I put it on a lathe)

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

here's a few more pics, little bit clearer

27269478763_b2b6cf89df_k.jpgshock4 by johnnyboy666, on Flickr

27881088695_96a46fb16e_k.jpgshock3 by johnnyboy666, on Flickr

no visible cracks that I can see, and its certainly still very solid, I just tried leaning into it with a bar, but it swiftly became apparent that I'll be needing a bigger bar

welshpug

from what i recall that top section is welded in.

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

Yeah it certainly looks like a separate piece

barneys66

Return them and get your money back.

toolie72

If its an insert then I stand corrected and sorry for the blethers

Rippthrough

That's the gas chamber so I'd be careful trying to lever it back. You'll know about it if it cracks.

welshpug

thats if theres any gas left anyway ;)

I'd just buy new inserts tbh, kam racing do short top gravel for about £200 a pair, you'll need a sleeve nut to replace the top hat spacer that sits under your current nut, but i think thats it, you'll need to check the lengths you have to play with.

long top spinle can be ordered but nearer 180 each afaik.

johnnyboy666

Well I just about managed to straighten it! it was a stubborn bugger. Had a bit of steel tube over the threaded section, with a gti6 ARB in the end of the tube, then another 4 ft of tube on the end of that. Still had to hang off the damn thing for about an hour to get it straight.

Should do the job till I can afford new inserts