• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

Electric Windows Have Stopped Working

buster205

Hi All,

As above both windows have stopped working partly open, how do I check I'm getting 12v to window switches ? I.e which wires ? Also which relay is for electric windows ? (1989 phase 1.5)

Cheers

Ste.

buster205

Help needed please, I've put a 12v supply from battery to motor supply wires and both windows closed. I can't find 12v at any of the wires on either switch (drivers door) and when I bell out the wire from the fuse box (W block in fuse box) I'm getting continuity to earth ??? Does this mean It's shorting out somewhere ??? Apologies if that's a stupid question (car electrics baffle me)

Cheers

Ste.

steve@cornwall

Daft question but have you checked all the fuses? Anything else not working? Can't remember offhand which fuses share the circuit.

toolie72

First-try passenger side switch on the drivers side

When the switches go on drivers side it affects passenger side too

buster205

Checked the full row of fuses, non blown. Searching through old posts it says electric windows relay is fifth from left ??? Mine doesn't have a relay in that position. The wiring for the windows goes to an extra relay that's screwed to the glovebox casing. Wiring then goes to a black box that says 12vdc time controller ???

If the electric windows were fitted from new would the wires to the switches be on a brown plug in block ? Mine are on individual spade connections ( my last pug had the block connectors)

Cheers

Ste

steve@cornwall

My 89 1.6 ha individual spades, the electric windows being specified as an option when new., It doesn't have the extra relay or black box. I'm assuming yours also ha the wiring going through the doors via a corrugated sleeve rather than via the later plugs on the a post? Worth inspecting for fatigued wiring at this point.

buster205

My 89 1.6 ha individual spades, the electric windows being specified as an option when new., It doesn't have the extra relay or black box. I'm assuming yours also ha the wiring going through the doors via a corrugated sleeve rather than via the later plugs on the a post? Worth inspecting for fatigued wiring at this point.

Think I've found the problem Steve, The fuse box wiring is like a bowl of spaghetti, in amongst it I found an inline glass fuse which had blown !!! The door wiring does go through a sleeve as you say. Electric windows must have been fitted later ??? No idea what the black box is but the wiring is a total mess

Thanks

Ste.

steve@cornwall

Can you still use the Windows.for a short while after switching off ignition? That would be my guess for the black box. Sounds like a.retro fit, but if the electric window option was dealer fit I guess different fearless May use different methods and systems. My cti is late 89 and the optional electric Windows have proper moulded plugs

buster205

No, windows won't move once you remove the ignition keys ? The black box and wiring from it is a right rough ar$e job, wondering if it's part of an old alarm system (which no longer works lol) found another box behind the centre console when I had the interior out ! Think it was called serpi star if I remember correctly !

Ste.

toolie72

Could box have been for a 80/90s alarm? You know the ones that would close windows etc when you pressed fobs, they must have had some way of keeping power going to windows

Might explain why wirings a mess (although they all look like that lol)

Or diydan has bought every addon in the world ever with no idea what he was doing

Your post just came up when I finished typing!!

buster205

Could box have been for a 80/90s alarm? You know the ones that would close windows etc when you pressed fobs, they must have had some way of keeping power going to windows

Might explain why wirings a mess (although they all look like that lol)

Or diydan has bought every addon in the world ever with no idea what he was doingYour post just came up when I finished typing!!

Looks the most likely reason, removing the redundant alarm is on my to do list

Ste.