• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dawning

Door Card Restoration

dawning

Has anyone attempted to restore their door cards? Or recomend anyone who can do the work? I have had a look around and can't find anything.

The bottom of one of my cards is rotten and the pins have fallen out.

I have an xs with just one red stripe at the top and the speaker hole is not in the top corner, ive never seen ones like that for sale, if you have a drivers side one in good condition let me know please.

Thanks

mrfirepro

Not sure what style door cards you have?

As my backs were not in bad condition, I replaced all of the fixings with new (Generic not Pug), used a carpet cleaner spray on the lower section, grey Plasticare on the vinyl bit and a tip picked up here was to use a red sharpie pen for the strip along the top. The results were really good.

P1050501_666x500.jpg

• Like 1

dawning

Nice, I thought I saw somthing about using a red sharpie for the strip at the top! They are the same as yours but with no carpeted bit at the bottom. Its just the drivers side that has gone rotten inside down the bottom, the vinyl is all very servicable but does need touching up like yours.

I got a couple of fixing kits from pug and they where pretty cheap actually, come with loads of bits, can't see where most of them go! Unfortuantly the wood is far to rotten to accept the new white plastic thingys.

steve@cornwall

Are you looking to restore or fix? If it's just a fix to make them nice,secure and presentable I would put a smear of fibreglass bridging filler in the door card holes and push the fixings in before it cures. Once dried it should hold very firmly.

Edited by steve@cornwall
  • Like 1

dawning

Im not sure, that could work im not sure if I could get the shape back though. Thanks for the tip. The card is not actually causing any trouble its its just a bit creased in the corner I was more thinking of taking the wood out and cutting the lower rotten section and replacing it somehow or paying someone to do similar. I guess there are usually enough arount that people don't bother would be easier to just buy a decent one.