• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Barryboy85

Best Brake Fluid

Barryboy85

Standard 1.9 setup...what brake fluid would you recomend?

welshpug

Anything branded is decent tbh, they all have to meet the same standards.

Barryboy85

Dot 4 ?

mikeyd

we use dot 5.1 as its slightly higher boiling point [on a rally car] but dot 4 ok for normal use -- depends if used for "spirited " driving /track use

Barryboy85

Just for standard road use Mike... So should be ok with dot 4.

dobboy

I "think" the Dot5.1 may have a longer change interval, as well as the other benefits.

For a few quid extra best swapping to 5.1

allanallen

5.1 needs changing more frequently as it absorbs more moisture than dot 4

petert

5.1 is also totally incompatible with dot 3 or 4. You have to start with clean and dry system. There are plenty of quality dot 4 fluids, such as Motul RBF 660 and Wilwood EXP 600. They're probably the same stuff anyway, with a different dye.

dobboy

Dot 5.1 is "typically" longer life than Dot 4, and Dot 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3 and 4.

Dot 3 / dot 4 / dot 5.1 brake fluid - all available here for purchase online, plus "super" dot 4 - not an official brake fluid rating, but used on track / race / competition brake fluid.

Brake fluid should be changed every 1 or 2 years. Over time, moisture diffuses into the fluid through brake hoses and rubber seals, increasing the water content. If your brake fluid is low, you probably have a problem such as a leak. Leaks and excessive moisture in the fluid can both result is a loss of hydraulic pressure and braking ability, so it's as well to check and change your fluid periodically.

Dot 3 is the most basic fluid generally available. dot 4 is a higher performing fluid with a higher boiling point, whilst dot 5.1 is the most up to date standard - typically a longer life fluid that requires changing less frequently. Super dot 4 fluids have the highest boiling points but are not longlife. dot 5 brake fluid is not to be confused with dot 5.1 - dot 5 is a silicone based fluid which MUST NOT be mixed with dot3, dot4 or dot 5.1 brake fluid

You can find which DOT your vehicle requires, normally in your handbook. However if you're not sure, or you have a unique or race vehicle contact the Opie experts for Brake or Clutch Fluid advice.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-fluid-clutch-fluid.aspx

petert

sorry, my bad. I did get confused with dot 5.

• Like 1

allanallen

I'm not confused and stand buy what I said

Simmo

I use Motul RBF660 dot 4 here...