• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Neil205

Front Strut Rubbers

Neil205

Just noticed mine are pretty much worn and perished are these easy to change ? Do I just un do bolt on top ? Or is it front strut removal job ?

Thanks

dawning

You need to remove the strut. I did this recently on a non gti and it took a lot longer than I had expected, but of a nightmare tbh. On a gti should be simple as you can easily unbolt the arb. You will need spring compressors to take the strut appart. Do not bother doing the rubbers and not the bearings, mine where very rough. I bought a top bearing kit from SKF which comes with the rubbers, quite cheap too. Do not bother doing the rubbers and not the bearings.

Just realised you can see them so you are probably talking about the damper boot, its a protective cover for the damper. The strut mounting rubbers are not visible untill you take the strut off. Same procedure really, strut off, compress spring, top mount assembly apart. Take the opportunity to replace the top mount bearings and rubbers while your at it, my old ones barely moved. The boot is still available from pug, I decided I would probably be better to replace the whole damper with bilstein B4's and new springs.